PVC or Poly Pipe for jet pump hookup

Users who are viewing this thread

HappyLaker

Reaction score
I have a 2000 gal poly cistern inside the crawl space of our cottage. Should I use poly or PVC from pump to foot valve in the cistern. I thought I read somewhere there is a code PVC can not be use inside because it gives off toxic gas if every caught on fire. >?? Thanks

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
check local code I dont think either is legal withen or under the house . I think it needs to transition to material allowed within the building. even though thats routinly done in the states

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I have a 2000 gal poly cistern inside the crawl space of our cottage. Should I use poly or PVC from pump to foot valve in the cistern. I thought I read somewhere there is a code PVC can not be use inside because it gives off toxic gas if every caught on fire. >?? Thanks

PVC is not allowed inside homes for domestic potable water. The issue is it has a lower melting point than CPVC. It's OK for DWV use. It can be used for well pumps up to the pressure tank.
If you read an article about toxic fumes if it's in a fire, it was the argument at one time used in Chicago to keep expensive cast iron waste pipe had to be used.

Reach4

Reaction score
PVC is not allowed inside homes for domestic potable water. The issue is it has a lower melting point than CPVC. It's OK for DWV use. It can be used for well pumps up to the pressure tank.
Logic says you should be right. Practice might agree with you. I wish that were explicit in the codes.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
We dont allow pvc water pipe in house because thats the code. when you call for inspection its kind of like a 7 year old asking his Mom why must he go to bed . because thats the rules. I never heard it was for fire or smoke reasons
Im not 100 percent sure if thats code in canada, or if its allowed to the first joint at which point he transitions.

Reach4

Reaction score
We dont allow pvc water pipe in house because thats the code. when you call for inspection its kind of like a 7 year old asking his Mom why must he go to bed . because thats the rules. I never heard it was for fire or smoke reasons
Same thing regarding SIDR pipe too, I imagine.

That is really unfortunate. Probably no hardship if your pressure tank is going to be outdoors or in a well house, but almost nobody wants to use CPVC for well stuff, and few want to use PEX for long runs or higher pressure applications.

If you had a crawl space in your area, I think the codes would allow PVC in the crawl space. Not allowing PVC or SIDR pipe into the pressure tank in a basement seems small minded.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Agree reach 4 about the code seemingly small minded , if indeed it prohibits these connections. We get in certain applications on buildings where no metallic piping is allowed. the reasons are multiple, including lobbying from interested parties and politics.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks