PVC or Cast Iron to repair waste pipe. Please Help

Users who are viewing this thread

xami714

Reaction score
This photo is of the ceiling below the bathroom. I removed the cracked waste line about three inches from main waste stack. I assumed i would break lead seal and replace with rubber boot ( i apologize if thats not the right term) and replace broken pipe with PVC. It was suggested to me that the best fix would be to replace what was there which I assume that means working with lead which means bringing in a plumber. I don't mind the expense. I want it done right

Attachments

• SV300010.jpg
    SV300010.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 2,654

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Millions of homes have pvc pipes, and they work well. What you'll potentially notice is if you convert to pvc there, the pvc will be noisier. If that is an issue, then pay to have it replaced with CI. It isn't that much noisier, but it depends on the construction. If that area underneath isn't something like a bedroom or the living room, no big deal - do it yourself with pvc.

To make the transition, you have two choices...remove the CI pipe from the hub and use a donut (Fernco makes some) with the pvc inserted in the middle, or use a no-hub banded connector on the existing stub of CI. This is a neoprene rubber sleeve with metal reinforcement band around it, anchored with hose clamps. The all rubber ones can't be legally used except underground.

Both are 'right' by code, would work well, and last a long time.

xami714

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for the help gentlemen.What i learned is worth as much as i saved.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks