PVC Male - Brass Female Coupling

Users who are viewing this thread

Dean Erger

Reaction score
A pipe broke at the inlet side of the cut-off valve for my house. As can be seen in the photos, the PVC doesn't appear to have been screwed very far into the brass valve. Is that normal?

Pipe Full.jpg
Pipe Close up.jpg

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I doesn't look out of the ordinary. Some valves have a short thread.

- Turn off the water.
- Remove the rest of the PVC male thread out of the shut off valve, without damaging the thread.
- Install a new male adapter. Use tape only, no plumber's dope.
- Cut the PVC pipe, install a coupling and finish to the valve with a piece of pipe cut to size.
- Let it bond (read the instructions on the cement label) before turning the water on.

Dean Erger

Reaction score
Thanks for the help.

We have a well supplying water to two houses. There's over 1/2 mile of pipe running through dirt, clay and sandy soil. It's not unusual to get a broken or leaking pipe. Over the course of wet and very dry times of a year, the ground sifts and breaks usually happen at a coupling/joint. I assume that that is what happened in this case. In this case, about 18" from the valve is an expansion coupling like the one shown below. I don't know if that expansion coupling would help, but it didn't prevent the current break.

$_35.JPG

I'm not sure what I can do to help avoid a recurrence of the present problem. However, I already repaired the break pretty much as dj2 advised.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score

Dean Erger

Reaction score
Smooky, that Transition Adapter looks like it would have been a much better choice than the PVC adapter that I used. I'll know better next time.

I'm just a home owner with limited plumbing experience. Lack of knowledge about available plumbing parts, like those you mentioned, is always a handicap.

Fortunately, forums like this one are a big help to DIYers like me.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A male PVC thread snapping off is a common occurance. Sometimes I encounter it several times a week. I repair them by screwing a brass nipple into the valve and connecting to the PVC with a compression coupling.

Dean Erger

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I haven't filled in the hole yet. Before I do, I'll redo my repair with a brass nipple/PVC compression coupling like hj and Smooky advised.

Dean Erger

Reaction score
I'd appreciate any advice about using a SharkBite 1" brass PVC male adapter, model UIP140. I assume my valve is brass, but I don't really know. Here's the SharkBite.
SharkBite.jpg

Am I correct that my valve is likely brass and that the SharkBite adapter will work, or am I better off going with an adapter like Smooky mentioned?
C86_L86.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks