PVC joints coming apart on intake piping!

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by bassadict69, Aug 26, 2014.

1. bassadict69

bassadict69 Member

ER Registered Nurse
    I have 2" pvc ran approximately 30' out into the lake for the intake on my pump. Several times I have had joints come apart somehow. Regardless of what I have tried or what glue I have tried, I continue to have problems. Any ideas or suggestions?

2. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

Rocket Scientist
    Are you using primer ?

I put the glue on and let it melt the PVC a bit 30 seconds or so, Then Twist and hold for about 3 Minuets. Holding that long may be overkill but it works and does not move.

There are different glues for different PVC types. The correct glue should melt the pipe together.

Do you have couplings, or are they built into the pipe ?

The Belled PVC pipe is much better for the suction line.

Sometimes the Couplings to not match the Pipe you are using, and the Glue does not devolve the different plastics properly.

Good Luck.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. bassadict69

bassadict69 Member

ER Registered Nurse
    What are my options now with joints coming loose underwater.? I am scared if I lift the pipe up enough to get the joint above water for the repair, I will break another joint loose.

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I presume there is a threaded joint between the PVC and the pump. I would unscrew the string of pipe at that point, drag the thirty feet up on dry land and let things dry. If there are any joints that are suspect, cut out the coupling. Dress the ends of the pipe. Get new couplings. Prime both parts. Push hard and twist.

When you put the new coupling in place, have a helper or two who can help twist or at least push . One helper could be enough if the other end of the pipe was being pushed against something like a tree.

Maybe you would feel better with flex couplings that are held together with worm radiator clamps. Since there are some forces on this, you would probably want a Mission or Proflex coupling. Still. The glued PVC should have held if done right.

6. DonL

Rocket Scientist
    Give me a few, While I go get a Tree to push against.

Nice Reach.

JerryR likes this.
  7. DonL

Rocket Scientist

You have to hold it or it will spit back out. It has a slight taper.

USA and China stuff Varies in size also.

Have Fun.

8. bassadict69

bassadict69 Member

ER Registered Nurse
    I found a local place that sells flexible pvc for $1.50 per foot and I can buy as much as I need and it will all be one piece. He says they sell it all the time for irrigation systems like mine where a long intake pipe is needed since it is easier to handle when putting it out. When putting my pvc out, I had to get about 5 buddies to help support the pvc as we walked and swam it out into the lake! It was quite a sight!

The plumbing supply place said they have all the hose and the fittings for the hose to connect it to the pump and to the foot valve.

Anyone have any experience with this stuff?

9. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
    I would guest buy now that you have your problem solved. Id you used coupling be sure that they are for irrigation, not indoor plumbing. The irrigation coupling are longer and the PVC bell ends are even longer for more glue surface. And do not go cheap, you must use PVC primer & cleaner before gluing.

With any long run under water you need to support it maybe every twenty feet and not have the screened end touch the bottom.

10. bassadict69

bassadict69 Member

ER Registered Nurse
    Not sure if the stuff I used was for irrigation or not, probably not since I bought it all from HD. Right now, everything is pushed back together and holding. I have decided since it is the end of the summer now, I will wait until spring and replace it with some flexible pvc pipe since I found someone locally that sells it by the foot.

Thanks everyone for the input!

11. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Semi-Retired
    AFAIK flexible PVC is really low pressure rated. Depending on how the pump was setup it may never see pressure but I would use poly pipe.

12. DonL

Rocket Scientist

Some of that PVC tubing is only made to be under pressure.

If you use it on the intake of a pump it will collapse.

Like said above, PVC pipe will the Bell end / coupling built in would be a good choice.

Good Luck.

13. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    quote; I put the glue on and let it melt the PVC a bit 30 seconds or so,

That is a good way to have bad joints. My joints are "glued together" in 30 seconds or less.