Pvc glue, how to store it ?

Users who are viewing this thread

RonL1

Reaction score
Is there any way to store pvc glue that will prevent it from going bad (it seems it takes less than a week and it's nothing but a gel)

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
If you can extract the air out of it, it will last - but that's the problem. If it was a squeeze container, you could squeeze until the product reaches the top of the container before sealing the top, but cans not so much. You could try putting the glue into a squeeze bottle. I pretty much buy a new can whenever I do a project because it goes bad once it's aired.

John

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know if this would help, but I would try upside down. I would think that would minimize air coming in.

But I do find buying the bigger container is false economy for most people.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you buy it in metal cans with screw on tops, the best way to seal it up for storage is to make sure the top is clean and screw it on tight. But if you don't use it to make a living and use it all the time, the best way to keep the least of it going bad is to buy the smallest container of it you might use. Like for us, we barely touch CPVC.. so I buy 1/4pints. We buy ABS glue by the gallon.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I usually clean the drippings from the threads, close the lid tight, but as I'm closing it tight I give the can a squeeze to push some air out. Then after the lid is closed tight I shake (upside down) the can so the glue coats the inside of the lid to try to seal it from the inside. Keeping the can under a slight vacuum probably doesn't help with air intrusion, but for some reason this seems to work. I bet it would work without squeezing the can just as well.

Themp

Reaction score
I use a Mason jar to store the PVC container. I do buy the smaller size. I just drop the container into the jar and then screw on the lid. I use a Mason jar for wood putty also that is in a metal paint like container. Seems to extend the life of the PVC glue, but not forever.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks