PVC drop pipe: male adapters vs threading the pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
A properly glued joint is a type of weld. It should hold whatever the pipe will hold. Most joints are not properly glued.
FWIW, I think we've heard here in this forum from a plastics/solvent chemist that the above ideal is mostly true for ABS, but much less true for PVC. PVC is much harder to get "melty" (to use a technical term : - ), hence the need for primer. And the resulting joint, while strong, is still weaker than the base plastic.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
just wondering why an experienced well guy would waste bothering with threaded pipe and stainless couplings if it isn't a real good way to do it in his opinion . and not being involved in this area that much . I'd be inclined to follow what the most common professional approach was and I also give thought to geographical area no real reason but if everyone in my area does it a certain way I tend to follow in most cases but a lot of this stuff we find out from a small sample of others If you work with 2 other guys for 10 years with zero problems why change?
Paltus thanks for sharing your test results! interesting not totally conclusive to me ,as to hanging weight in water over years , assuming the drop pipe has a load of weight on it?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
FWIW, I think we've heard here in this forum from a plastics/solvent chemist that the above ideal is mostly true for ABS, but much less true for PVC. PVC is much harder to get "melty" (to use a technical term : - ), hence the need for primer. And the resulting joint, while strong, is still weaker than the base plastic.

Cheers, Wayne
Have you ever put a chunk of PVC into a can of primer? I know I've broken a lot of PVC with an excavator. Joints will pull apart very often when it's conduit (electricians don't use primer) sewer pipe most times doesn't break at the joints. I can't say I've never seen it happen though.

I was working in a process facility that wouldn't allow us to glue pvc that was inside of a large tank. This tank had a media mixed with acid. Their claim was pvc couldn't be glued because the acid would eat it's way through the glued joints. We had to actually weld it with a plastics welder. We did drop tests to test our welds. They held up well, but I still would have liked to see a properly glued joint be eaten away without eating the pipe.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wow, lots of questions about PVC drop pipe.
We have a product called WellHose. www.WellHose.com
This is a DIY Drop Pipe.
One continuous length. One fitting that screws into the pump and the other that screws into the pitless or elbow at the surface.
No issues with torque. No glue required. No safety ropes.
Just connect and lower into the well.
Please check it out online or call if you have questions. 480 607 1507
Cheers

Fitter30

Reaction score
This is a DIY Drop Pipe.
One continuous length. One fitting that screws into the pump and the other that screws into the pitless or elbow at the surface.
Cheers
Read their 50 year warrantee and months from purchase.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is a DIY Drop Pipe.
Cheers
Interesting thanks for sharing your site and product

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
just wondering why an experienced well guy would waste bothering with threaded pipe and stainless couplings if it isn't a real good way to do it in his opinion . and not being involved in this area that much . I'd be inclined to follow what the most common professional approach was and I also give thought to geographical area no real reason but if everyone in my area does it a certain way I tend to follow in most cases but a lot of this stuff we find out from a small sample of others If you work with 2 other guys for 10 years with zero problems why change?
Paltus thanks for sharing your test results! interesting not totally conclusive to me ,as to hanging weight in water over years , assuming the drop pipe has a load of weight on it?

I recently pulled 700 feet of 1" schedule 40 PVC from a well that was hanging for 30 years with little use. Glued on male and female couplers every 20 feet, and no failures at all. Big torpedo sized HEAVY pump at the end. Bizarre!

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
Read their 50 year warrantee and months from purchase.

Yeah, they need to clarify that. They make no mention of the 50-year coverage even though it clearly says 50-year warranty on the page. Likely 5 year warranty or, if it is 50, 600 months :rolleyes:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I recently pulled 700 feet of 1" schedule 40 PVC from a well that was hanging for 30 years with little use. Glued on male and female couplers every 20 feet, and no failures at all. Big torpedo sized HEAVY pump at the end. Bizarre!

Ball Valve, or others so I'm just wondering a 700 foot deep PVC drop pipe would never be a concern pulling it? whether glued or threaded sch 40 its all good? or you consider it lucky to ? if it goes bad I guess you gotta drop a hook down or something.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Each PVC pipe company has its own specifications. Here is one that shows 1" Sch 120 with metal couplings can hold a 1.5HP or smaller as deep as 725'.

https://www.jmeagle.com/sites/default/files/WellCasing_web.pdf

I have been called in to fish the pump when one of those glued couplings came loose. Not a fun job as there is no coupling to grab and the pipe is so flimsy it crushes when you try to use an overshoot.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
interesting , i might not ever change a pump out on a well, so iguess ill leave this alone, if i ever do i wont be running sch 40 pvc glued though proven to 700 foot as discovered by ball valve

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks