PVC drain tie in to 4 inch cast service duty. Options

Users who are viewing this thread

Mturse

Reaction score
Good evening. Located in new York, Been looking for an applicable post but I don't see any that apply. I need to tie in the 3 inch PVC seen n the picture into a cast iron horizontal run. I know that I need to add supports to the cast before I cut for all the extra weight, but my question is this, should I cut at the yellow lines in the attached photo and add a section of 4 inch PVC with wye to 3 inch up and if so, do I use a 4 inch PVC no hub adapters and use the 4 clamp shielded no hub adapters? Or can I just use the shielded 2 clamp no hubs that go 4 inch cast to 4 inch PVC?

2nd option , which sets me up for future, is cut at the blue lines, since the red arrow section will be replaced in a year to the old wc since it has a backwards pitch from settling. Then I can do all 3 inch and use a 4 inch to 3 inch bell reducer and 4 clamp 4 inch no hubs.eventually next year I will replace the red section when I pull the old toilet after the other bathroom is complete. Temporarily the vertical red 4 inch will reduce to 3 which is not optimal but it will be only for a year.
Hope it's clear enough and thanks in advance

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_20220124_193416482~2.jpg
    IMG_20220124_193416482~2.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 198

Mturse

Reaction score
I figured the blue.....but is it ok to go vertically from 4 inch cast to 3 inch PVC. And what would be best coupling to use specific? Can I use this? Will it block up? Or leak? This vertical transition is temp for about a year.

Attachments

• black-fernco-rubber-fittings-p3000-43-64_600.jpg
    black-fernco-rubber-fittings-p3000-43-64_600.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 157

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need a 4x3 closet bend. Then just a no hub band . Put the cleanout in the vertical.

Mturse

Reaction score
You need a 4x3 closet bend. Then just a no hub band . Put the cleanout in the vertical.
So 4x3 closet bent (4 inch on vertical side) where it goes from vertical to horizontal instead of wye with separate clean out. And on the horizontal I can go from 3 inch back to 4 inch ci main with the coupler in last post. I appreciate the help

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks