PVC drain pressure test 6 psi

Users who are viewing this thread

Will_

Reaction score
The town requires an air pressure test to hold at 6 PSI for a few hours, maybe about 4 hours. I set it to 6 and after about 30 minutes it is down to 4 to 5 psi. I can't find the leak anywhere by listening or by using dish soap. I am seeing there are ultrasonic detectors $50 on Amazon, but I won't have it in time when I visit for this weekend.

The town does also allow you to fill up the drain with water to the highest point. I did buy a gallon of red fluorescent dye (before knowing there is an ultrasonic leak detector). My main concern is that the 4" drain at the bottom would be under about 10 PSI since the highest point is about 20 feet higher than the bottom. For the plug on the 4" I used the thin glue in knock out plug. It bulges out in the center with just 6 PSI of air. I used this because a local plumber said the 4" red screw plugs will always blow out with air. He said they are fine with water though. I used the red plugs for the rest of the 2" openings.

I figure water and dye is the way to go. It may not even leak with water. Any thoughts?

-Will

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Would be unusual to have any trouble with water unless you actually have a bad glue joint. I've never used dye (we use ABS) so it wouldn't show up...

Will_

Reaction score
It's fluorescent dye and have a UV flashlight. Also to be clear, it does leak all the way out with the air. The timing from 6 PSI to 4 to 5 is about 30 minutes I think.

I'll go ahead and fill it with water then and hopefully there's no leak.

Will_

Reaction score

P2503.5.1 Rough Plumbing

DWV systems shall be tested on completion of the rough piping installation by water or for piping systems other than plastic, by air with no evidence of leakage. Either test shall be applied to the drainage system in its entirety or in sections after rough piping has been installed, as follows:
  1. Water test. Each section shall be filled with water to a point not less than 10 feet (3048 mm) above the highest fitting connection in that section, or to the highest point in the completed system. Water shall be held in the section under test for a period of 15 minutes. The system shall prove leak free by visual inspection.
  2. Air test. The portion under test shall be maintained at a gauge pressure of 5 pounds per square inch (psi) (34 kPa) or 10 inches of mercury column (34 kPa). This pressure shall be held without introduction of additional air for a period of 15 minutes.

I see you are correct, but they do the air I guess to avoid having you fill it with water and risking a freeze? I don't know. That is the way down there. I asked the inspector about air initially and that the PVC glue says don't test with air, he said I could fill it with water.

I'll fill it with water and dye this weekend though.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you were to use and "Air" test, the way you should do that is by Vacuum rather than added pressure.. Air molecules are vastly smaller than water molecules and will show a leak where water won't.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
We dont have freezing here but on DWV Id estimate 1000 to 1 are water tested. Why Dye? cant see water ? you put that in your water pipes too?

Will_

Reaction score
Dye just to make it easier.

The water lines (PEX-A) have no leak at all for weeks when I set it to 20 PSI. The inspection test is 80 PSI though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks