PVC Drain Pipe Sweating

Users who are viewing this thread

Just1

Reaction score
Greetings all. I'm at the end of a bathroom renovation and was about to have the taper come by and finish taping the ceiling. Upon looking up the other day I noticed light brown water stains where the wall at the top of the window meets the drywall ceiling. I took a piece of the ceiling down and there was very little water where the metal wall stud track and metal ceiling track meet. I thought the water might be coming from the tub upstairs but that doesn't seem to be the case. I also thought maybe from the bricks outside but it hasn't rained in 3 days. There is a horizontal PVC drain right in that area that wasn't leaking when we tested it back when all the walls were open and it doesn't seem to be leaking now. Is it possible that because the PVC pipe is near the outside wall that it is condensing when there is warm water in the pipe from running the shower?

Last edited by a moderator:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
That is probably not what is happening. Condensation usually happens on cold pipes when moist warm air comes in contact with it. I would look for some other reason.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks