PVC coupler too long - Need suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

Chad Potter

Reaction score
I'm a plumbing novice. Installing a pool heat pump. Installation manual recommends installation of a pressure check valve for larger pool pumps (which we have); however, no information is supplied re: installation.

Have found installation suggestions via an instruction manual of a different heat pump manufacture.

I'm installing a 5# spring check valve (per detailed recommendations of the other heat pump manufacture). In the instruction manual it states "...check valve must be installed with no bends or reducers between check valve and heater".

I'm attempting to install as recommended in manual / diagram; however, in and out heater ports are not an ideal distance apart. Check valve is too short in length and addition of a coupler results in too long of a length. See photos.

My options (inexperienced as they are):
1) Add 2 90 degree elbows to heater out port to give me more length for both check valve and coupler. This is the best solution that I can come up with. However, this would not jive with the instructions of "no bends or reducers between check valve and heater". I assume adding bends would be better on out port than in port.

2) Find a "short coupler" that will work with my scenario. Online search revealed no luck in finding such an item.

3) Trim coupler with hacksaw. I suppose this could be done, but I'm guessing this is not ideal. Don't know how badly this would compromise the integrity of plumbing.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for the help.
Chad
20190527_162114.jpg
20190527_162150.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not following your descriptions.
Some comments.
  1. If you are trying to glue a check valve into that configuration, it seems improbable that you will get things to match up. You need something adjustable.
  2. "...check valve must be installed with no bends or reducers between check valve and heater".
    You understand that going through the side port of tees would certainly be considered bends or worse. I am not saying those instructions are called for. It is not clear if one of the ports is a heater.
  3. Are you sure that check valve is supposed to be glued into pvc fittings with pvc cement? I am not saying it is not, but I wanted to suggest that you check.
  4. A repair coupling might give you some adjustablity.
So I don't have a prescription for you. I am just presenting some things for your consideration.

Chad Potter

Reaction score
I am not following your descriptions.
Some comments.
  1. If you are trying to glue a check valve into that configuration, it seems improbable that you will get things to match up. You need something adjustable.
  2. You understand that going through the side port of tees would certainly be considered bends or worse. I am not saying those instructions are called for. It is not clear if one of the ports is a heater.
  3. Are you sure that check valve is supposed to be glued into pvc fittings with pvc cement? I am not saying it is not, but I wanted to suggest that you check.
  4. A repair coupling might give you some adjustablity.
So I don't have a prescription for you. I am just presenting some things for your consideration.

Below are instructions / diagram.

I'll never get 2 unions horizontally in that space to make the check valve removable.

I thought about making a loop upwards to accommodate the check valve. If doing such, I could add 2 unions. Ability to remove / repair / replace / clean check valve would be ideal.

upload_2019-5-27_17-16-55.png

Chad Potter

Reaction score
There is a check valve assembly made specifically for the AquaCal. I didn't order it as I assumed the dimensions were scaled specifically for the AquaCal. That assembly:

aquacal-stk0135-heater-bypass-external-9.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks