PVC cement - compatible w/ silicone sealant?

Users who are viewing this thread

Giantsean

Reaction score
I can probably guess the answer already, but just in case. If I have a PVC fitting which is attached with silicone sealant, and I want to bond them instead, do I need to have completely bare plastic? From my experience very few things stick to cured silicone (sometimes including more silicone and I'm assuming PVC cement may be no different - and that a good cleaning is in order (of course, it's in a hard to get to place... of course :))

Thx!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
PVC cement works by melting the plastic, then when the solvents evaporate, it becomes welded together. So, anything that would prevent the cement from coming into contact with the plastic would prevent the joint from being made.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
PVC "cement" or "glue" is neither. It is a solvent that melt the outer surface of the PVC and when the pipe and fitting are slid together, these two melted surfaces blend together and form a welded joint. Much the same as welding metal except this is done chemically rather than by heat. We all tend to call the solvent cement or glue and that confuses lots of people.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
PVC fittings and pipes have to be cleaned before cemented, that's why we prime them. Silicone will be a spoiler.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks