Putting a Y in a vertical copper DWV

Users who are viewing this thread

Atnof

Reaction score
I need to add a Y to a vertical, DWV (2", copper). I have a Y in copper.

Question 1: could I use a PVC fitting instead of a copper one?

Question 2: how can I get the Y in position? Do I need a specific fitting to make the connection above the Y (I can fit the bottom part, but then there is no way to get the top part in, of course...)?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You can install a PVC Y in the copper. You make up the plastic Y with 3" of PVC extending from each end of the Y. Then you need to get banded couplings that specificly go from 2" copper to 2" PVC it will say it on the lable on the band. Fernco makes them as do many other companys. I'm not sure if you will find them at any big box stores. Any plumbing supply house, worth their salt, should have them.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
y

If you have the copper/brass Y already, then go to a plumbing store and get two 2" slip couplings without the stop and slide them onto the copper after you cut a piece out. Then solder two stubs onto the Y, slide it into place, and then move the couplings down over the stubs, being sure to center the couplings over the joint.

Atnof

Reaction score
Thank you + another question

Hi:

Thank you both for your help.

Jean

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks