Put 3/4 poly pipe in 1 inch to bypass leak in foundation

Users who are viewing this thread

Frank G Perry

Reaction score
Friend of mine has a hole in his 1 inch line from well to and through the foundation of his house.
he has to move the pipe about 2 feet up the foundation cause previous owner covered it with a porch. some people have told him to just cut it outside the house and slide a piece of 3/4 inch poly pipe in it until he can get somebody to repair it.
going to be about two weeks before his crew can get to it.can this actually be done?

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
Yes I've done it before....its a tight fit but it will go. If he only has normal domestic needs and no high flow requirements there is not reason not to leave that as permanent fix.

Frank G Perry

Reaction score
Depending on the length that needs to be run you might want to use some type of lubricant. Obviously use something non toxic, perhaps some cooking oil.
If he decides to leave it as a permanent fix could he just run the pipe from the well instead of digging the existing pipe up to splice it in and then it would be like using the bad pipe as a protective pipe.he also wanted to know if pex pipe would do the same thing but easier to push through the old pipe.my friend is a hot rider from way back and loves to tinker on his cars and projects like this

Reach4

Reaction score
3/4 PEX would be smaller OD (0.875 inch) and smaller ID (0.681 inch) than the OD (varies with pressure rating) and ID (0.824) for 3/4 inch D2239 SIDR poly pipe.

Last edited:

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
Not sure how far the run is from the well, but the times I've done it, it was for short runs and it was VERY hard to push through. I have run it about 25' max before, and I had to work the pipe back and forth and push very, very hard but it did work.

3/4" Pex will be easier since it is smaller......BUT it will cause more flow restriction. If your water needs are modest it should be fine.

Frank G Perry

Reaction score
It’s about 80 feet from the well to where the pipe connects under the house.he wants to try this and not have a splice in the line.i keep telling him to open his wallet and just redo the whole setup and put a new pipe through the foundation but now it’s become a challenge to try the pipe through a pipe way.just him and wife live in the house so I don’t think the smaller pipe will make enough difference.and you know who is helper is so tomorrow I guess we are going to give it a try.thanks for the help.

Frank G Perry

Reaction score
Well we got the pipe through the line under the porch without a lot of trouble today.
Got each end piped up and the water is on once again.smaller pipe doesn’t seem to be a problem.my friend says unless it gives any problems he’s leaving it as is.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks