Push Vent Stack Back

Users who are viewing this thread

ZPB

Reaction score
Hi, this is what I just found behind a wall in my master bath.
I am totally gutting this room, and am wondering if I can bump my main vent stack back about a foot to take advantage of all this wasted space in the wall behind it; I will be removing the small wall on the right of this picture for sure. All of the smaller vents that join it can be reconfigured, and I would also like to add a walk-in shower at the opposite end of the existing tub, so I would need to tie-in another vent as well.
Am I able to jog this thing back a foot so that I can push the wall back?
Thanks

VVUdbCl.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes you can... but... you will have to move it over below the floor and above the ceiling. The 2" pipe left of the vent stack probably is venting a bathroom or other plumbing from the floor below.

Is there a bathroom on the other side of the wall? If so, it will greatly complicate matters.

You will need shielded adapters to adapt from your copper DWV piping to Plastic DWV fittings and pipe.

ZPB

Reaction score
Yes you can... but... you will have to move it over below the floor and above the ceiling. The 2" pipe left of the vent stack probably is venting a bathroom or other plumbing from the floor below.

Is there a bathroom on the other side of the wall? If so, it will greatly complicate matters.

You will need shielded adapters to adapt from your copper DWV piping to Plastic DWV fittings and pipe.

No bathroom on the other side of the wall - just a bathroom directly below.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
You're going to have some tricky plumbing to get that drain stack over and back into the wall below very likely. But since you've already opened the wall, you may as well open the floor and see what that looks like. The more height you have under that floor to the ceiling below helps.. But if the walls stack, like I think they should.. then maybe offsetting makes no difference to the ceiling below.. hard to say until you see more.

But its definately doable.. just time and money.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
"bumping the pipe back" makes it sound like an easy job. You do NOT have an easy job. In fact by the time you finish, you will probably have a very expensive "complete remodeling" of your drains and vent system. NOT a diy job.

ZPB

Reaction score
"bumping the pipe back" makes it sound like an easy job. You do NOT have an easy job. In fact by the time you finish, you will probably have a very expensive "complete remodeling" of your drains and vent system. NOT a diy job.
Even if there is a similar wall void below it to allow you to move it over?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks