Push in toilet flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Sween

Reaction score
I am planning on installing a push in flange during my second floor bathroom remodel. Are they reliable, will they leak over time if the gasket gets slopped out from flushing vibration?

Reach4

Reaction score
I am planning on installing a push in flange during my second floor bathroom remodel. Are they reliable, will they leak over time
Reliable. My assessment is not based on experience. I would grease the gasket with silicone grease, because I like greasing gaskets with silicone grease. But even if I did not, I don't see a leak happening when putting the Push-Tite into PVC or ABS. IMO, these are especially good for less practiced people, because you don't have to get it right the first time, as you do with glue.
if the gasket gets slopped out from flushing vibration?
I don't know what you are describing, but it is not going to happen, whatever it is.

Last edited:

Sween

Reaction score
IMG_1544.JPG IMG_1540.JPG IMG_1541.JPG
The flange will be anchored to the subfloor with the screws but the sphigot has no real support other than the glued joint at the down spout 3 feet away. The elbow can be moved about an inch up and down. With each flush won't there be downward pressure from the water pushing the elbow out of the flange? I used plumbers tape to attach elbow to blocking but it still has some vertical movement. If there is movement with each flush over time won't that degrade the seal the gasket is providing? I just want to make sure it's done right cause once it's closed off and tiled the only way to access it is through my kitchen ceiling.

Attachments

• IMG_1540.JPG
    IMG_1540.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 1,781

Reach4

Reaction score
I have not seen a closet flange like you pictured. I was thinking Push-Tite 887-GPM or Genova Products 75158S. Yours looks to me like a regular glue-on flange glued outside 3 inch PVC with an adapter to fit inside the 4 inch, but I guess it has the same function.

I used plumbers tape to attach elbow to blocking but it still has some vertical movement. If there is movement with each flush over time won't that degrade the seal the gasket is providing?
I see what you mean now. You could add a block/wedge between the joist and the PVC to limit travel.

Note the flange goes atop the finished floor preferably.

Sween

Reaction score
It actually is a souix chief 887-GPM that I cut in half and have a 3" pipe in it to extend it. After floor is finished I will get measurement to know how long to extend it. Joists are 8" and after rise/run a normal hubbed elbow with straight pipe extender and regular flange was going to leave me an inch too high. So after reading posts I came up with this. Do you mean shim between drywall ceiling and bottom of elbow?

Reach4

Reaction score
It actually is a souix chief 887-GPM that I cut in half and have a 3" pipe in it to extend it.
Cool. I would not be surprised to your photo being referred to for a future solution. I had read https://www.pexuniverse.com/uploads/docs/pdf/sc-fl-ext-pushtite.pdf but I had a wrong picture in my head.

You would seem to be expecting a pretty thick floor, since your closet bend comes up pretty high already.
Do you mean shim between drywall ceiling and bottom of elbow?
Marked picture shows where I was thinking. It would limit upward movement, and the strap eliminates downward movement.

Attachments

• img_1.jpg
    img_1.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 772
Last edited:

Sween

Reaction score
The floor will be 1" mud with a 7/16" plank like tile so lets call it an inch and a half. If you look closely at the flange pic I have a line drawn where I estimate the top of the gasketed side will land. I plan to cut off the distal end of the 3" extender off. I just havent cut it down to size yet, waiting for actual floor depth. I will wedge the top side of elbow which will box it in and limit vertical movement. FYI original floor was over 2" thick with the standard elbow and flange setup.
Thanks Reach you rock!!!!!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of push-in fittings, especially on a 3" pipe. More okay with a 4" pipe. It should still work, but consider there are some toilets with a 3" outlet which would create a ridge, or at least a steep taper. A push-in flange that will fit into a 3" pipe will have an opening closer to 2", and most toilets have an outlet slightly larger than that. It creates a situation where you have a larger possibility of clogging or slowing down the flow through an obstruction. If you want or need a little wiggle room, you've lost it, since the toilet's outlet must perfectly align with the center of the flange. Much prefer a glue-on one.

Reach4

Reaction score
A push-in flange that will fit into a 3" pipe will have an opening closer to 2"
Why would you say that?

If it were true, that would still not apply to this thread. But I doubt it's true.

Last edited:

Sween

Reaction score
The street elbow is 4". The 887-GPM is a 4" flange which fits into a 4" street. The 3" extension pipe fits inside the 2 pieces of the cut flange hub. So I guess it does reduce it from a 4" to a 3"

Jadnashua

Reaction score
There are inside fit flanges that will fit into a 3" pipe (however attached, whether glued in or pushed in). Not recommended on a 3" pipe IMHO, even if it fits. If your pipe is a 4", yes, you could use one, but it would reduce the ID to close to 3" because of the wall thickness of the flange plus the depth of the gasketing material. 3" ID is fine, 2" isn't IMHO. For any toilet sold in the US, a 3" pipe works fine, but reducing it further with an inside fit, even if allowed, isn't the greatest thing.

Sween

Reaction score
There are inside fit flanges that will fit into a 3" pipe (however attached, whether glued in or pushed in). Not recommended on a 3" pipe IMHO, even if it fits. If your pipe is a 4", yes, you could use one, but it would reduce the ID to close to 3" because of the wall thickness of the flange plus the depth of the gasketing material. 3" ID is fine, 2" isn't IMHO. For any toilet sold in the US, a 3" pipe works fine, but reducing it further with an inside fit, even if allowed, isn't the greatest thing.

Sween

Reaction score
Just measured and inside diameter of the short extender is 3". So I guess I'm ok. Am I better to extend gasket down deeper into the street or keep it shallow at the top. Sioux Chief says 2" but street would allow me to go to 4 before it starts to bend.

Attachments

• IMG_1545.JPG
    IMG_1545.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 698

Reach4

Reaction score
A range will work quite well, but I think I would split the difference to put you about in the middle of the range.

Sween

Reaction score
A range will work quite well, but I think I would split the difference to put you about in the middle of the range.
Ok my initial line was 2 3/4 I will stick with it. Will let you know how it turns out Reach. Planning on installing a Toto drake.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
As long as you get at least the minimum insertion distance they call for, any more won't help or hurt. What you don't want is to expect to be able to push it in more than you actually can, and then have the thing not sit flat on the finished floor - IOW, sticking up too high. Make sure that the pipe is well supported, so it can't move. A solvent welded joint holds them together, a push-in, rubber gasket is just a friction fit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks