Push-Fit Connections and Deburring - a minor but important question

Users who are viewing this thread

Jdbs3

Reaction score
Tiling a floor and will first remove a vanity. The copper water feeds come through the bottom of the vanity; the holes are just big enough for the water feeds and the PVC drain pipe.

After installing the vanity, the builder added shout-off valves. So the only way to avoid destroying the bottom storage floor of the vanity is to cut the vertical water pipes below the shut off valves and use a push-fit as a temporary solution until the vanity is ready to be re-installed.

I'll debur the inside of the pipes, and use a Scotchbrite pad to clean the tubing.

However, the deburring will most likely leave some residue in the pipes. Once I remove the push-fit and re-sodder the shut off valves back on, I can always flush the lines for 5 minutes. Anything else I can do to get the bur residue out of the line?

Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Did the plumber use soldered on or compression shutoffs? Either one can be removed, but the compression ones are easier...two wrenches, a few moments, and it's done.

The push-fit connectors rely on an o-ring to seal, so any burr on the end of the pipe can slice it and render it useless or risky. There is a tool made to do this, but it may be a bit much for a one-time use - it's about $10 or so from Acme...the people who make the Sharkbites.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks