Purple primer on threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Noob

Reaction score
I need to snake the line. Some one but purple primer (no solvent) on threads when it was last snaked 5 or 6 years ago. I've tried ice and later a heat gun to loosen up the access but no joy. Thought I could remove the traps and get the snake in that way but didn't have much luck.
Guessing I'm going to have to cut it but I'm not sure where or how to repair it. Would like to cut so I have as little to replace as possible.
Any tips?

purple-primer-on-threads.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
You cannot be sure there was not only primer, but also cement.

Brass cleanout caps are often removed with hammer and chisel. If all else fails, maybe that would work on pvc cap. I am not a plumber.

Noob

Reaction score
You cannot be sure there was not only primer, but also cement.

Brass cleanout caps are often removed with hammer and chisel. If all else fails, maybe that would work on pvc cap. I am not a plumber.
I can in fact be sure there was only primer. I was there.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Some one but purple primer (no solvent) on threads when it was last snaked 5 or 6 years ago.

That was a mistake. Cut the square knob off the clean out plug and use a hack saw blade to cut the rest out in pieces. Don't drop any pieces down the drain.

IPDQKWID

Reaction score
If it just will not loosen, even with a pipe on a pipe wrench for leverage, I'd cut the square off, then drill through the plug, then jigsaw or sawzall down to the threads, in two directions, then break the plug outward. Afterward, fill in the hole with one of these - they work regardless of thread condition - but do be careful about the type which have an insert, that after backing out the tightening mechanism, the insert falls into the pipe.
https://www.plumbingsupply.com/cleanoutplugs.html

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The primer has solvents in it, so while not as strong a bond as when using the cement (which has dissolved pvc plastic in it as well)...unless they waited probably at least a couple of hours, the plastic was soft when the plug was screwed in...it isn't coming out whole! You could drill it out and then tap the hole, but that joint could be iffy. You may be able to peel it out of there if you drill out enough and then try to pry the thin threaded bits that are left out. If they'd slobered the threads with some plumber's grease, used a compatible pipe dope, or the PTFE tape, you could have had a chance to back it out easily.

FWIW, I'm not a big fan of female pvc threaded pieces...the threads are tapered iron pipe joints, and the further you screw it in, the tighter it gets...sort of like hammering in a wedge to split wood...pvc loses its elasticity some as it ages, and those female threads can eventually split.

viper1

Reaction score
Love to meet the tool that primes threads.....lol. For the cost of this hassle, I recommend cutting the main pipe and just rebuilding it. Always cut closer to what you are replacing to leave good pipe for another screwup.

As well, it sounds like something needs corrected if you keep having to snake. Consider a different design. Plumbers like to reach for 90s. Good plumbers reach for 45s and 22s..... They flow better.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Love to meet the tool that primes threads.....lol. For the cost of this hassle, I recommend cutting the main pipe and just rebuilding it. Always cut closer to what you are replacing to leave good pipe for another screwup.

As well, it sounds like something needs corrected if you keep having to snake. Consider a different design. Plumbers like to reach for 90s. Good plumbers reach for 45s and 22s..... They flow better.
LOL yea it was dumb alright that entire mess not just the primer / dope santee on side just kind of lame the whole build. no big deal just cut the mess out

Noob

Reaction score

I'm not a plumber so I don't know what a different design would even be. I don't think 45s would fit and still leave enough room.

And frankly it's been fine for 15 years, until someone let a paper towel or a napkin or something go down the drain, and even then it didn't get caught in the 90s but somewhere much further down.

I'm not sure what it was this time but it looked like white gunk and hair.

Anyways no where on the primer did it say it would melt the threads together, I was simply told it would make the seal tight.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
noob if the primer didn't make clean out plug get stuck then you don't need worry about the threads melting. and if you are satisfied with the way its plumbed ok. not to code though and you might get a sewer smell

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks