Purchasing a new softner, water test enclosed

Users who are viewing this thread

HarriettaHomeowner

Reaction score
Hi,

Our house burned down, and I am trying to replace our water softener system. We used to have a Rain Soft system, but we never really liked it. It was chlorine injection, followed by a softening tank, followed by an activated charcoal tank, and we used "iron fighter" salt. That system came with the house.

I'll post the results of the water directly from the well, it hasn't been hooked into the new house yet, so we haven't tested for bacteria. There are 4 people that live full time in the house.

I've been reading the forum, and my stab at fixing the water is- a Hydra filter, a fleck 9100stx to soften the water, and a Fleck 2510 with Katalox light for the iron, and a carbon tank. My husband likes the idea of the two tank softner so if he flushes the toilet in the middle of the night it won't suck salt into the house.

I'm not sure if that's a plan, and I could use some pointers on sizing the tanks.

Thanks for any feed back

HarriettaHomeowner

Reaction score
Screenshot_2019-03-11-12-04-54.jpg
Screenshot_2019-03-11-12-05-15-1.jpg

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Not your question, but I believe you should remove the chlorine before going into the softener; i.e., well->chlorination->settling tank->carbon->softener. I had a system like that in Florida (nasty water, Fleck valves) and was very happy with the result.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The water looks great except for the high iron. No real need for a twin alternating softener. Modern softeners do not allow salt water into the house during the regeneration process unless there is a problem with the unit. Considering how low your hardness is a simple unit would make a lot more sense but it is up to you. The twin alternating units only save a tiny amount of salt and are far more complex. The 9100 is a great valve but it is in need of an update. It really hasn't changed significantly for decades.

A Hydra, A 2510 Air Regen design might be a good choice for you with a softener. Not much more needed than that.

Are you going to DIY the installation? Can you post pictures of the installation location?

Reach4

Reaction score
I've been reading the forum, and my stab at fixing the water is- a Hydra filter, a fleck 9100stx to soften the water, and a Fleck 2510 with Katalox light for the iron, and a carbon tank. My husband likes the idea of the two tank softner so if he flushes the toilet in the middle of the night it won't suck salt into the house.
If you use a single tank system, and flush the toilet during softener regen, you do not suck salt into the house plumbing. What you will do is get a gallon or 3 of unsoftened water. That is insignificant. The KL filter would have removed the iron, because teh KL will not regenerate at the same time that the KL does. So a Fleck 5810SXT or 5800SXT or 5600SXT could do that job quite well.

With your KL iron filter, the softener will not have to deal with the iron. So a 1.5 cubic ft softener would be expected to go a little over 2 weeks between softener regenerations.

What was your chlorine injection device? If it turns out that you need it with your KL, it could maybe be used to inject H2O2 lightly before the KL. Very good chance you would not need injection.

HarriettaHomeowner

Reaction score
The water looks great except for the high iron. No real need for a twin alternating softener. Modern softeners do not allow salt water into the house during the regeneration process unless there is a problem with the unit. Considering how low your hardness is a simple unit would make a lot more sense but it is up to you. The twin alternating units only save a tiny amount of salt and are far more complex. The 9100 is a great valve but it is in need of an update. It really hasn't changed significantly for decades.

A Hydra, A 2510 Air Regen design might be a good choice for you with a softener. Not much more needed than that.

Are you going to DIY the installation? Can you post pictures of the installation location?

Sure, I can get some pictures in the basement this afternoon. We have plenty of space for it, the plumbing hasn't been hooked up yet, so whatever I buy will be made room for.

We always had so many problems with the previous system, pulling salt in if you accidentally ran the water. And it was set to backwash 3 times a week.

I'll check out the 2510 tank you mentioned for the iron.

HarriettaHomeowner

Reaction score
If you use a single tank system, and flush the toilet during softener regen, you do not suck salt into the house plumbing. What you will do is get a gallon or 3 of unsoftened water. That is insignificant. The KL filter would have removed the iron, because teh KL will not regenerate at the same time that the KL does. So a Fleck 5810SXT or 5800SXT or 5600SXT could do that job quite well.

With your KL iron filter, the softener will not have to deal with the iron. So a 1.5 cubic ft softener would be expected to go a little over 2 weeks between softener regenerations.

What was your chlorine injection device? If it turns out that you need it with your KL, it could maybe be used to inject H2O2 lightly before the KL. Very good chance you would not need injection.

The chlorine injection device was melted in the fire, so if we need to inject something, we'll have to have a new one (which is fine)

It's nice to know they don't let salt into the house these days, the old one was a real problem.

Bannerman

Reaction score
I'll check out the 2510 tank you mentioned for the iron.
2510 refers to the model number of the Fleck control valve, not the tank or media.

Various control valves are paired with various sized tanks depending on the application and the type and amount of media required.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Older systems that would allow salt in the house during regeneration were very bad, very annoying to get salt water in your eyes during a shower. Or brush your teeth...

Last edited:

HarriettaHomeowner

Reaction score
Installation location.

They haven't poured the floor yet, and none of the plumbing is in- they haven't gotten that far yet.

Attachments

• 20190311_162324.jpg
    20190311_162324.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 306
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks