Pumping uphill from a tank to house

Users who are viewing this thread

Slimbo

Reaction score
I need to pump from a 300 gallon tank which is gravity fed to my house uphill. Rise 40 feet, run 180 feet. I need enough pressure to run a mobile home with two bathrooms.

Can I get away with a 3/4 hp jet pump with a 16 gallon pressure tank?

What’s the optimum setup?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I need to pump from a 300 gallon tank which is gravity fed to my house uphill. Rise 40 feet, run 180 feet. I need enough pressure to run a mobile home with two bathrooms.

Can I get away with a 3/4 hp jet pump with a 16 gallon pressure tank?

What’s the optimum setup?
With the 40' rise I would use a 50/70 pressure switch instead of a 40/60. You will need a pump like a Goulds J5SH or a J15S that can build 80+ PSI to be able to use a 50/70 switch. But a 16 gallon pressure tank only holds about 3 gallons of water. You would be much better off controlling the pump with a PK1A-10 kit with a Cycle Stop Valve and a 10 gallon size tank. This will give you strong constant 60 PSI while you are using water and would do a better job than an 80 gallon size pressure tank.

Reach4

Reaction score
I wonder about using the existing pump with no pressure switch for drip irrigation, and add a booster at the end when pressure is needed for washing something or doing something that needs more pressure. This is just a not-worked-out idea.

Slimbo

Reaction score
With the 40' rise I would use a 50/70 pressure switch instead of a 40/60. You will need a pump like a Goulds J5SH or a J15S that can build 80+ PSI to be able to use a 50/70 switch. But a 16 gallon pressure tank only holds about 3 gallons of water. You would be much better off controlling the pump with a PK1A-10 kit with a Cycle Stop Valve and a 10 gallon size tank. This will give you strong constant 60 PSI while you are using water and would do a better job than an 80 gallon size pressure tank.
I have access to a Berkeley 10SN for free. How does that compare to your the J5SH and J15S? Will it work?

Thanks for your help

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks