Pumping temporary water while well line is replaced

Users who are viewing this thread

Relic44

Reaction score
Hi folks. I am looking at repairing or possibly replacing my well service line and as either would take some time to access I have a question about how to supply the house with temp water while that is being done.
A little background......well was new in 1990. The black poly line, which I believe is 1" CTS, came up about 4' short of the water room. The plumber inserted a 1" copper pipe into that poly pipe and it had 4 hose clamps or so. When I got there, the water was hooked up and I was assured that the copper would outlast us all..........well, it made it 32 years. I know where the end of the pipe is or where the repair needs to be..........but it's under concrete/tile, which will have to get chopped out.
My concern is that I may damage the pipe while breaking up the floor..enough that it won't supply water. Well is 550' and water sits @ 80' down. Can I plumb a jet pump to the pressure tank.............so that I can keep the house in water while the repair takes place?

For the repair, I am planning on using a brass compression with inserts similar to this.

For the temp water supply, It looks like I can drop a pipe down the well and hook it up to a shallow well pump top side. Should that pump be in the water room, close to the tank or should it be closer to the well. It's about 60' from the well to the water room. Would the end of the line going into the well need a foot or check valve?

I'd appreciate any input or thoughts on what I should be doing. In the time since the initial install, I've been involved with some plumbing. I am good with the mechanics end of it even if I don't get the theories behind it.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Won't work. Can only suck water up 24' max. You could use a deep well two pipe jet pump, but you won't have room in the casing for that. Just use the submersible that is in the well. If you break or are afraid of breaking the pipe between the well and pressure tank, just put in a temporary line to bypass the part you are digging up.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
A shallow well pump should be placed as close as possible to the water to minimize the length of the intake. The pressure switch should be placed as close as possible to the pressure tank.

This is moot however since a shallow well pump cannot lift more than around 24 feet.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you have a nearby neighbor, that neighbor may let you connect your outdoor hose spigot to their hose spigot. Ideally you will use a hose made for potable water. But a regular garden hose is good enough, but maybe drink something else for a while.

You may need to get a female-female hose adapter to put on one end of your hose.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks