Pump won't turn on, won't stay on

Users who are viewing this thread

Yar02169

Reaction score
I'm using a shallow well for my irrigation system.

System Particulars:
1.5 hp Flotec pump (yes, I know, but it's only use is to water the lawn)
20/40 Square-D pressure switch (The sticker inside the cover says ON: 20, so that is an assumption)
A small bladder tank, about 2-3 gallon is my guess. The tank pressure is 35.5 PSI with no system pressure.

I have good flow and water my lawn regularly, but here is the problem. The switch will not activate the pump when the pressure drops (solenoid to Zone 1 opens). I do what I shouldn't, and slide a carpenters pencil above the spring to trigger the switch, and then pull the pencil out when watering is complete (usually I remember). When watering, the pressure gauge reads 26-29 PSI, depending on the Zone that's watering. The pressure gauge usually reads about 40-42 PSI when the irrigation controller shuts off the final Zone.

As a side note, when I start to water, the pressure gauge is usually at zero. I assume that means a leak on the draw side of the pump. I do know it's something that I need to fix because if I get my primary issue corrected, the pump would then cycle as needed to maintain pressure. If I feel motivated, I may re-do the joints from the well to the pump this weekend.

I have gained lots of well information from this forum, and I thank all of the knowledgeable people that help us DIY'ers out.

Yar02169

Reaction score
Good thing I'm the curious type and was able to figure this out myself.

As I suspected, the problem was with the pressure switch. There was a pocket of silt hanging out in the diaphragm area of the switch. I assume the silt prevented proper switching operation as the diaphragm was beaten up pretty good. I replaced the switch and the system resumed normal operation. Should be good for a year or two until the silt damages this switch as well, I'll just add that to the pump re-build kit list that I buy to deal with the silt issue.

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
nice job but.... the tank pressure, with the system off should be 2lbs less than the cut in pressure which I believe is 20 lbs. The pump will cycle less.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks