Pump wont start after sitting idle for 30 years

5 hp submersible pump wont start after sitting about 30 years.

• have a nice day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • have a nice day

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

pumpmann

Reaction score
3 hp submersible pump 500 ft deep well 230 volt single phase, wont start after sitting idle for about 30 years. hooked up a 5000 watt generator to 10 gauge wire to starter box and no start . Pump to starter box 2 gauge wire about 25 yards distance apart. All three wires are black but one is marked ground. Has a grundfos pump corp. starter box. Thinking about replacing with a franklin 2823028110 control box, 3hp, 230v.1 phase. Also should I replace the 10 gauge wire with 6 gauge as any bigger will not fit the plug end or is the 10 gauge OK. A pump man suggested checking the continuity between each pair of wires (red-black, black-yellow, yellow-red), to check the motor windings. Then check each wire for a short to ground. Not sure how to do all of this. Have a volt and ohm meter. Hope someone can help explain this step by step . I do not have a shut off box or pressure tank installed at this time but do have the facet turned on. I will be using the well just to fill up watering troughs. Also do I need a pressure tank as I will leave the frost free faucets open when pump is on. As am afraid of a pressure tank freezing in cold weather. You experience advice will be very helpful and thankful.

Reach4

Reaction score
No experience.

The cap in the starter box may be bad.

The Franklin AIM manual says that
There are two types of generators available: externally and internally regulated. Most
are externally regulated. They use an external voltage regulator that senses the output
voltage. As the voltage dips at motor start-up, the regulator increases the output
voltage of the generator.
Internally regulated (self-excited) generators have an extra winding in the generator
stator. The extra winding senses the output current to automatically adjust the
output voltage.​

They say an externally regulated generator should be 10KW 12.5/VA for a 3HP 3-wire pump.

For sizing your pump, you would like to know how far down the water is. Is the water at 150 ft or 350 ft?

You will not need a pressure tank.

Regarding the ohm readings at the motor, Franklin AIM manual has expected 1.1-1.4 ohms for the run windings and 4.0-4.8 ohms across the start windings. To that, you have to add the round trip resistance of the wire.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yeah I don't think you are going to start a 3HP on a 5000 gen set. If the generator is lugging down when you try to start the pump the generator is not large enough, the start box is bad, or you have a problem down the well.

If the generator doesn't load up when you try to start the pump, then the overload in the bottom of the control box may need to be reset.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Wonder what the bearings and seals are like after sitting idle for 30 years in the water...

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The bearings and seal will still look like new. Actually a well is one of the best places to store a pump. It is a constant temperature, the pump doesn't dry out, and the lack of oxygen reduces oxidation considerably. As long as lightning hasn't hit it directly, it should be in good shape. I have started lots of pumps that have been sitting idle for years. 90% of the time they start right up.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
hooked up a 5000 watt generator to 10 gauge wire to starter box and no start .

upload_2016-3-1_8-57-26.png

You need to calculate the Losses in the generator and wire length. The system is not 100% efficient.

Measuring the current and voltage will tell you if your generator can make enough power. At first you say 5 HP then you change to 3 HP ?

If Your Generator is a Inverter type, the pump motor may not like it.

The gen set sounds to small to me. Normally smoke results when failed attempts are tried over and over again. :eek:

Good Luck. Have a Nice Day.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks