Pump wiring questions

Users who are viewing this thread

johndhogan

Reaction score
I am renovating a house in Florida that has a flotec fp5182 pump for yard usage. It is old and I don't know if it works. The wiring was cut and I am trying to figure out how to test run it to see if it still works. The label is very hard to read but I think it is 230v only. New ones are 115 or 230 but I don't see a switch under the cover. The wires are black, red and white. The best I can tell is that the black and red are connected to hot and white is connected to the ground. Can I put a plug on the wire to test it? If so, how would I wire it?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I have never seen a pump connect to two hots and a neutral the way you describe. A 115/230 convertible motor does not necessarily have a switch to convert. Most just have a choice of which terminals to connect to or a movable internal strap.

Can you look at the panel side of the cut wire to see how it connects inside the panel? It could be that one of the three wires is ground, not neutral.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks