Pump will not stay running....

Users who are viewing this thread

agb

Reaction score
I have a 1 1/2 hp pump, that pumps water into a holding tank, controlled by a float. Living in Texas with the prolong power outage. With a new control box pump will run for a few seconds, then relay will chatter and overload will trip. I have 118 volts on both legs coming from contactor and breaker. My ohm readings for the pump are: Yellow/Black 2.6 ohms (spec is 1.7-2.1), Yellow/Red 8.8 ohms (7.1-9.2), Red/Black 11.4 ohms. Well is 16 yrs old, pump set at 175 feet. We do not have a pressure switch in the system. Any help would be greatly appreciated, about ready to pull my hair out.

Reach4

Reaction score
Your readings are consistent with a 6.6 ohm start winding, a 2.2 ohm run wiring, and 0.2 ohms for each of the 3 wires. Most ohmmeters have trouble reading low resistances.

I don't know why your relay is chattering. Is the voltage across the relay coil solid or weak?

When measuring voltage into the control box, you want to measure hot to hot rather than hot to ground.

I don't have a diagnosis for you.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Check the amps with a clip around amp meter. 1 1.5HP should draw 11.8 amps. If it is drawing higher than that there is something wrong with the pump or motor.

agb

Reaction score
Looks like we are pulling and replacing the pump. The line amperage for the black run wire goes to 19.5 amps and when relay chatters goes to OL. So looks like we have a fun day or two ahead of us. Thanks for all you help.

Reach4

Reaction score
I have a 1 1/2 hp pump, that pumps water into a holding tank,
Is it pumping water at its normal rate with the new box before the chattering starts?

Any chance you mis-wired the output of the box?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks