pump trouble

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike T

Reaction score
New guy here, trying to figure this out. 1hp 3wire pump at 300 ft, going into a holding tank. Yellow and blk wires show 8.5- 9 amps and good voltage . red jumps up to 3-4 amps then dies but still shows 220 v. Am I right that it shows pump is running under pressure ? Do I have a split line ? thanks for any advice

Reach4

Reaction score
New guy here, trying to figure this out. 1hp 3wire pump at 300 ft, going into a holding tank. Yellow and blk wires show 8.5- 9 amps and good voltage . red jumps up to 3-4 amps then dies but still shows 220 v.
Sounds about right. Red current lasts what -- maybe 5 seconds?

Am I right that it shows pump is running under pressure ?
What does that mean? Does water come out?

Mike T

Reaction score
No water. Red wire is just a flash, straight up and down. Also the 9 amps on the y and B wires doesn't go higher and then drop back to 9 amps

Reach4

Reaction score
The snip below is from the Franklin AIM manual for a 1 HP motor. With your symptom of no water and current flowing in the red wire for only 300 milliseconds, I cannot explain your symptoms. Usually the current in the red line would flow for a few seconds before the control box senses it is time to stop providing the current through the start capacitor. If the motor did not start, I would expect the current flow to be bigger followed by a thermal cutout or breaker popping.

img_2.png

Mike T

Reaction score
I'm thinking the impellers have been eat up. Been seeing some white looking stuff floating in tank. Didn't know what it was. Does that make sense ?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Could be impellors, but why?
Lots of grit?
Dry well?
Pump is just well worn?

If the pump is wiped out and hasn't shut off, your electric bill will be much higher than normal

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks