Pump system not working

Users who are viewing this thread

jt1234

Reaction score
I supply my sprinkler system with water from a pond via a pump. I opened the system yesterday. Put the suction pipe in the pond, primed the pump, and turned it on. While I was testing each zone all of the sudden the sprinklers stop spraying water. I noticed the a fitting on the suction pipe in the pond broke apart. I repaired the line, primed and started the pump but now no water comes out of the heads on any zone. Actually one spray head spit a little water but basically nothing. The pump and suction line are holding water and pressure. The pump seems like it is a little louder than normal and is 11 years old. Could the pump have gone bad? Is there a way to test it? Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reach4

Reaction score
Think maybe dirt got sucked in, through the break, and blocked something?

One of the things that could be blocked its the jet. If the jet is blocked, that would not let the jet pump develop enough pressure.

A piece of a wire coat hanger used to be a common wire to use. A piece of 12 AWG copper wire might be easier to find today.
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/pressure-drops-quick.67304/page-2#post-500629

If this is your pond, you could consider a submersible pump with a flow inducer shroud and an intake screen cage. A 1/2 hp submersible would typically pump about as much as 1 hp jet pump, and no priming.

I would power the pump through a GFCI.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Pop up sprinklers have a filter screen just under the spray head. Some rotary sprinklers have a filter at the bottom and impulse sprinklers do not. If you're using zone valves they made need to be opened and flushed out.

jt1234

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I was able to follow Reach4's advice. I think the was something clogging the pump as it is working now. There of course is a new problem. I have only 3 zones. When zone 1 finishes its cycle and zone 2 starts, zone a couple heads on zone 1 continue to spray water.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Zone valve one is not fully closing. It’s not difficult to rebuild the valves with a new diaphragm.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks