Pump stops at 150 feet, need to get to 175'

Users who are viewing this thread

jimc91

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Not sure what is going on here. Pump stoped pumping so I thought I would replace it. Pulled up old pump and put new pump down with black poly pipe rather than very heavy galvanized pipe. old pump was set at 146 feet so I thought I would set the new pump at 175 feet but it stops at 150. I pulled everything back up and measured the total depth of the well and the water level. The well is 238 feet deep. The water level is at 153 feet so I figure thats why it quit pumping. Its 3 feet from the water level. So I thought try a 3 inch pump... The 3 inch pump also stops at 150.

Here is my question: Is there a tool I can send down to clear the passage to the bottom or near the bottom of the well?

It has a 4 inch PVC casing but I have no idea how far it goes down.

Any suggestions?

Jim

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a pro. These ideas are not from experience:

One possibility that comes to mind is that there is a discontinuity at that point, and the curl set into the poly is causing the bottom of the pump to snag there. A longish flow inducer made from 3 inch PVC pipe might straighten out the bottom section, and let you thread your way through.

Another possibility is that your well was not as deep as you think. Another is that the well has filled in.

A camera inspection seems worthwhile.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A picture is worth a thousand words. Back in the day before cameras we had to just guess at what was going on down there. We looked at the bottom of the motor to see if we could tell what it was hitting. Turned the pipe to the right while pushing down. Made a cone point for the bottom of the motor to see if we could stab it in the center and straighten out the parted casing. Now one look with a camera takes out all the guess work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks