Pump stopped working

Users who are viewing this thread

NewYearsEve

Reaction score
I just returned from a trip away for a few days. The water seemed to be working but I was only using it to wash hands and flush toilets. Then I started a small load of laundry and it started off fine, but later I noticed the refilling cycle was filling up really slow and we had just a trickle of water coming out of the faucets. I shut off the washing machine and tried to change the filter, but nothing drained out of the tank and when I replaced the filter the little tube thing it goes in did not fill up with water again. There is no sound of the pump turning on when I turn the breaker back on. My husband is in Iraq. I have small children and no family around to help, we need water asap. I'm hoping someone will be able to come out tomorrow. I thought maybe someone here might have some ideas for me to try in the meantime. Thanks. Happy new year.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Check the fuse, or, circuit breaker for the pump... After that its probably best left to the experts.

Well Newbie

Reaction score
I don't know how you can get water but if the water is not making it to the pump, turn off the power. If the pump runs dry, you can damage it by turning on the breaker. If you can hear the pump humming, it's running without water. Is the pump blowing the breaker?

Happy New Year! :eek:

NewYearsEve

Reaction score
I don't think the pump is turning on at all. I know the switches on the fuse box to turn the well pump off and on, but I don't know how to tell if the fuse is working or not. One of my neighbors looked at the little grey box above the pressure gage for me, he said that it looked okay because the thingamabobs were closed and not open. Some one will be out in the morning who will hopefully be able to fix it. I never realized how much I needed running water. It hasn't been too bad yet, but I anticipate alot of need for water, so I hope it comes quick or we're going to have to find someplace to stay. Ugh. Do you know how I can figure out if the pump blew the breaker? I do not hear the pump running at all. thanks.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The breaker would trip and probably go to a 1/2 way location... Turning it off and then on resets it!

NewYearsEve

Reaction score
Oh I see, then the breaker is fine because it just goes all the way off and on, it hasn't stopped at the 1/2 way location at all. Thanks for your help though. Luckily someone is coming by in the morning to check it out. I hope he can figure it out, and that it's something simple.

NewYearsEve

Reaction score
The man came out today and they spent a few hours, pulling up the pump from the well, they said the breaker was only 1/2 way. They put in a new pump and some other line. The bill came to a painful 2,115.76. He said it seemed that we have a leak some where, and would come back tomorrow to put in some thing that will keep the water from flowing back. He said it is cheaper than digging a new line for the well pipe. But now I tried to do a load of laundry again and it seemed to fill up fine, but then I went to give my daughter a bath and now the water is empty again. So he is coming back. Could it have anything to do with the washing machine?

Speedbump

Reaction score
I would say you have been ripped off. They replaced your pump and you have the same problem?

I have an idea they are going to put a check valve at your tank so the leak will be masked. If it were me, I wouldn't let them do that. I would ask them to fix the problem and for what you paid for that pump (unless it's a monster) the digging and new pipe aught to have been included.

bob...

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If you have a leak in the underground line and you install a check valve to keep it from leaking back, you can get air blowing out you faucets, and the water can get contaminated from stuff coming in the leak when the check valve is closed.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Out of water!

My first thought is the driller you contracted licensed and National Ground Water Association (NGWA) certified? If not I doubt that he is QUALIFIED!

Ask the driller if he knows "Porky"? If he does he'll probably do you a reasonable job. . . if he doesn't know Porky. . . be skeptical!

Without more information I can't properly diagnose your problem!

Please let us know the outcome!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks