Pump start relay for 1 hp well pump for domestic water

Users who are viewing this thread

Jim Goodman

JEG in Raleigh
Reaction score
Background......I'm having a 1 hp, 230 volt well pump installed to replace a 3/4 hp pump. The wire running from the panel to the well is not large enough to handle the 25 amp breaker required by the well pump. For that and other reasons, (My meter base is remote from the house and accessible. Otherwise, I would have to cut and jackhammer concrete in my carport to get a larger wire into the breaker panel in the utility room) I am having a sub-panel run to supply the well pump with power. The pressure tank and pressure switch are in the utility room near the panel. So, when the new power is run, I will need to have a way for the pressure switch to turn on the well pump power, which is now being fed directly through the pressure switch. In a previous post, I asked about this, and was told that what I needed was a pump start relay that would be activated by the wire currently running from the pressure switch to the well. I have been searching all over the web for a pump start relay that would serve this function, and all I have been able to find is relays for sprinkler systems. Is this rainbird relay that would be appropriate for this purpose? https://store.rainbird.com/psr220ic-psr-universal-pump-start-relay-220-volt.html

Thanks.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Pump start relays are made to start the pump from a sprinkler controller and usually need 24V instead of 240V.

All you need is a 30 amp, 230 Volt, double throw contactor, like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Eaton-C25BNB...amp+contactor&qid=1563828750&s=gateway&sr=8-9

You can also order a 1.5HP control box in what the call a "deluxe" model, which comes with the extra relay. I don't think they make deluxe boxes for anything smaller than 1.5HP.

Reach4

Reaction score
Last edited:

Jim Goodman

JEG in Raleigh
Reaction score
Pump start relays are made to start the pump from a sprinkler controller and usually need 24V instead of 240V.

All you need is a 30 amp, 230 Volt, double throw contactor, like this.

You can also order a 1.5HP control box in what the call a "deluxe" model, which comes with the extra relay. I don't think they make deluxe boxes for anything smaller than 1.5HP.

Thank you.

Jim Goodman

JEG in Raleigh
Reaction score
You can get a relay AKA contactor with a 12o vac or 240 vac coil, if you want to have minimum wiring change. This can be bought mounted in an enclosure. How would you like this to mount?

https://www.functionaldevices.com/products/building-automation/details/RIB01P30/
RIB01P30 is one example. I think it could mount on an electrical box if rain was not a factor.

I am not a pro.

Thanks. I am going to have a waterproof enclosure mounted on a pedestal by the well. I'm getting a Grundfos 10S10-15, and a note in the literature said that Grundfos SP pumps needed to have a control box, but looking closer at the table, so I originally thought I was going to need a control box; but looking closer at table (attached), I saw that the pump I'm getting does not need the control box. My electrician said he needed a 10x10 junction box, and I'll ask him if he needs that in addition to the enclosure for the relay or if the enclosure for the relay can handle the j-box functions too.

Attachments

• GRUNDFOS WELL PUMP ELECTRICAL DATA.pdf
    144.3 KB · Views: 165

Reach4

Reaction score
The numbers in the midst of the table are GPM.
img_5.png

I'm getting a Grundfos 10S10-15,
10S10-15 can be a 2-wire or 3-wire.

Grundfos 91595155 is a 2-wire 10S10-15
91545155 is a 3-wire 10S10-15 , and needs a control box.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks