Pump spurting water/air

Users who are viewing this thread

nachomendez

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to using water pumps and this is probably a bit different than most uses here. I have a small basement aquaponics system where I'm using a water pump to circulate water from a tank up a tube, where it is distributed to columns where I grow plants. The system was circulating fine until last night when the outlet tube started spurting out intervals of air/water.

Type of pump? Danner MD2
Submersible: Yes
Size of Pump? 24 Watt
Date Pump Installed: August 1, 2013

Pumping from?
100 gallon tank
Pipe Size: Input is gravity fed 1.5" PVC down to 3/4" vinyl; output is 3/4" vinyl up to 1" PVC which then goes back to 3/4" tube which has small 1/4" irrigation type small tubes coming off of it. That tube, however, continues back down into the tank. So, all water is drained back into the tank by that tube and the 4 small tubes.

Pump makes clicking or buzzing sounds: No, the pump sounds normal

Note: When I remove the pump from the system and test it in a small bed of water it seems to function normally. However, I can't tell if it may be pumping at less pressure than originally as I have no way to read the pressure. Also, the air being drawn in is clearly being drawn in by the 4 small tubes. However, I'm not sure why there is this negative pressure in the system when it wasn't there before. I've tested and reset some of the tube/pvc connections.

Any thoughts are appreciated . . .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks