pump sounds locked up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Tickridgescott

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a submersible pump inside of a 300 gallon holding tank at my spring. It's been in for 2 weeks and was running fine until today. It now makes a loud sound and comes on for 20 seconds and then shuts off by itself (obviously the thermal overload protection). I am going to have to go down there tomorrow and pump out the tank so I can pull the pump and see what's going on. Any ideas as to what may be happening?

Tickridgescott

In the Trades
Reaction score
oh one more thing..... when i hear the motor come on it is loud but not pumping any water.

R

Rancher

Sounds like maybe a broken shaft/impellers, did you use a flow inducer sleeve?

And why do you have to drain the tank?

Rancher

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would check to see if there are any valves between the pump and the tank(if there is one) that are maybe closed.

SAM

Tickridgescott

In the Trades
Reaction score
yes i have a flow inducer sleeve.

No there are no valves after the pump.

Basically, this pump pumps water (when called for per float switches) up to a 5000 gallon cistern up top at the house. Under normal circumstances, the pump comes on and runs for 20-25 minutes, draining out 125 gallons in the holding tank near spring, and then shuts off (float switch).

ecpgroup

Reaction score
if you need to drain the tank to remove the pump its a bad installation. sounds like capacitor or start windings have gone. test motor with insulation tester. is it a ballrace motor? if so maybe grease dropped out of bearings and seized hence locked rotor. clamp on an amp meter and check runing current. all the best max

Speedbump

Reaction score
is it a ballrace motor?

What is a ballrace motor? I've never heard of one.

What brand pump is this cistern pump? What horsepower, pumpend? Is it a three wire or two wire?

bob...

Speedbump

Reaction score
Suffice it to say ball bearings instead of sleeves. As long as I've been working on motors, that's a new one on me.

bob...

ecpgroup

Reaction score
sorry when i said ballrace what i was meaning is a standard ballbearing motor. intreasting idea that ballrace motor pity it has no use.

i dont know if you have worked out i am from the uk! some terms and wording are very diffrent from usa to uk.

cheers max

Speedbump

Reaction score
Ah that explains it. That ballrace motor Rancher linked to is interesting too. Too bad it can't be used for anything but show.

I'm sure there are a lot of terms that differ between us. But that's what makes the world an interesting place. It's the same with Engineers, they speak a different language than the rest of us do.;)

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks