Pump Sizing for New Well

Users who are viewing this thread

Matt1225

Reaction score
We are in the process of building a new house. The house is a 2 story 4 bedroom 2.5 bath house. The calculated peak water flow is 15 GPM. We have had our well drilled and are now looking for the pump for the well.
Details/Plans for the well:
Depth: 220ft
Static Height: 105ft
Recovery Rate: 8GPM
Well Diameter: 6in
Well Distance to House: 80ft
Elevation from Well to Pressure tank: 0ft
Pressure Switch: 40/60psi
Pipe Size: 1in
Voltage: 220V
We are planning on installing a cycle stop valve with a 4.4 gallon pressure tank.
We are also thinking on putting the pump at 200 ft, but open to other suggestions.

We have had one person tell us a Goulds 7 GPM, 1 HP pump to use, but someone else told us this pump would be too powerful for the recovery rate. They suggested instead a Goulds 5 GPM with a 0.75 or 1HP pump to use instead. My only concern with the smaller pump is not having enough water flow in the house.

We are open to other brands of pumps as well. Any help in regards to the pump sizing would be greatly appreciated.

Reach4

Reaction score
You can use a 10 gpm 1 hp. You will not pump 10 or even 8 gpm continuously, and the well casing stores a lot of water. Alternative would be 7 gpm 3/4 hp. 5 gpm 3/4 hp pump would be more lifting power than you need. 10 gpm is cheaper. If you went to a 5 gpm pump, 1/2 hp would be a better match. But I would go with 7 or 10.
img_2.png

Last edited:

Matt1225

Reaction score
Reach4, thank you so much for you quick response! That sizing of pump does seem to much more appropriate.

Reach4

Reaction score
With a 6 inch well, I would use a flow inducer sleeve. Search on "flow inducer" with the quotes. The search box above is a good place.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The 10 GPM, 1HP would be your best choice. I would control it with a PK1A and a 10 gallon pressure tank. With a 2 story house I would set it up with the CSV holding 60 PSI constant and use a standard 50/70 pressure switch setting.

Matt1225

Reaction score
Valveman, thank you for confirming which pump to get and the additional details regarding the pressure tank and pressure switch settings!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks