Pump short cycling-In Well Pressure tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Roland Nickelson

Reaction score
I joined this forum hoping someone can answer my question. I had an in well pressure tank installed a couple years ago, can't reach the folks who installed it. I noticed on my drip irrigation my flow fluctuating up and down, after checking on the web site I read they recommended a 50-70 pressure switch so I bought a Square D Pumptrol 50-70 and installed it, the old one was a 30-50. I noted there is constant 60# on the gage, that must mean the tank has a 60# constant pressure valve, I was able to adjust the switch where I got a constant flow on drip irrigation emitters, but the pump still quick cycles, but the pressure stays constant, as soon as the pump kicks off I can see the diapram on the switch moving up and in a few seconds closes the contacts and the pump starts again, on and off every few seconds. When I start a zone on my yard irrigation system, the pressure drops and the pump kicks on, pressure comes up to 60# and pump stays on, does not cycle on and off. I've adjusted it about 3 turns and does not make a difference. The well is used only for irrigation. I hope someone can address my problem.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Maybe you have a bad gauge? The pressure cannot be at a constant 60 and the pump be cycling on off. With a 50/70 switch and a 60 PSI Cycle Stop Valve, the pressure should drop to 50 and come on, stay at 60 as long as you are using more than 1 GPM, then build to 70 and shut off when no water is being used. I am guessing the pressure switch is not turned up to 50/70 as it should be. BTW, I wrote the patent on the in well pressure tank. There were copies on the market as soon as my 20 years was up.

Roland Nickelson

Reaction score
Maybe you have a bad gauge? The pressure cannot be at a constant 60 and the pump be cycling on off. With a 50/70 switch and a 60 PSI Cycle Stop Valve, the pressure should drop to 50 and come on, stay at 60 as long as you are using more than 1 GPM, then build to 70 and shut off when no water is being used. I am guessing the pressure switch is not turned up to 50/70 as it should be. BTW, I wrote the patent on the in well pressure tank. There were copies on the market as soon as my 20 years was up.

Thank You Valveman, I will check the gage. My 10 drippers total about 20gph

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You need to double up on the zones as it will take more than 60 gph (1 GPM) to keep the pump from cycling. If you can't up the zones to more than 1 GPM, then a much larger tank is needed.

Roland Nickelson

Reaction score
You need to double up on the zones as it will take more than 60 gph (1 GPM) to keep the pump from cycling. If you can't up the zones to more than 1 GPM, then a much larger tank is needed.

My garden is small, I plant in straw bales, I will have to live with the cycling or switch to City water from the house. I'm happy it doesn't cycle when I'm irrigating the yard. Thank You for your help.

SDSolutions

Reaction score
Just checking, when you changed the pressure switch for. 30-50 to 50-70, did you also change your pressure tank empty pressure to 48? It was still at 28, it’s possible you have blown your bladder inside the tank from too much imbalance, leading to your short cycles.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It is hard to check or change the pressure in an in well pressure tank. And with a 50/70 switch, there will be about 53 PSI in the tank, as it is 8-10 feet below the the pressure switch/gauge. Even with the correct air charge an in well tank only holds about half a gallon of water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks