Pump Selection Help

Users who are viewing this thread

Randall Grogan

Reaction score
I have an older pump on our property (25+ years) which has worked okay, but can no longer keep up with demand. The pressure drops fairly quickly. I believe that the impellor is worn because a year back the backflow to the tank malfunctioned and the pump ran continuously for a period of time, at least until it overheated and shut itself down a few times.

Our set up is basic (or at least I think it is). We have a submersible pump in the well, that feeds the 1000 gallon tank which sits on top of the pump house. The submersible has it's own pump control system to protect the pump from short cycling and continues to work well. It's a low flow well, so thus the tank.

The tank feeds my pump below, which sits in front of a 60 gallon bladder pressure tank. The pump is controlled by a 40/60 Square D pressure switch. The inlet to the pump sits at about 15psi, from the gravity feed of the tank.

The pump is a 1/4 or a 1/3 HP Red Jacket pump, past that I don't have more details. I could replace the impellor, but since water demand on the property is increasing, not decreasing, it would seem to make sense to just replace the pump with something that has a bit more power. I am thinking that 3/4 to 1 HP is in the right range, at least based upon the GPM ratings of the pumps.

I have heard the term "booster pump" and "jet pump" used in this context. I have also seen folks talk about "shallow well pumps". Seems like a lot of the pumps sold want to have the pressure switch and even the pressure tank integrated.

Based upon the description above, are there specific suggestions (brand/model #) you might suggest and why. No particular hurry, as this is not a primary residence, and worse case we are just taking underpowered showers. So a pump I could order from Northern Tool or similar would be fine.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A 1HP shallow well jet pump will deliver about 15 GPM at 50 PSI. A 1.5HP jet pump will do about 25 GPM. A 60 gallon pressure tank only holds about 15 gallons of water. And you want the pressure tank to hold at least as much water as the pump puts out in 1 minute. 1 minute of pump run time is the bare minimum, 2 minutes is better, and running continuous when using water is best for the pump. So the pressure tank is barely large enough for a 1HP.

If you use a CSV to control the pump, you can use as large a pump as you want, and the CSV will make it work like any size pump, and it will work with your tank or even one as small as a 4.5 gallon size pressure tank. The CSV keeps the pump from cycling on/off to death, and delivers constant pressure to the house at any flow rate you want to use.

Randall Grogan

Reaction score
Valveman,

Thanks, happy to take your suggestion and use a CSV. That still brings me back to the question of which pump. Based upon your commentary, I think that you are suggesting a 1HP Shallow Well Jet Pump sitting behind a CSV. Could be larger with a CSV, but in my case 15GPM should keep everyone happy.

Do you have specific suggestions with respect to pumps, and which CSV? Here are a few examples:
  • WAYNE SWS100 1 HP Cast Iron Shallow Well Jet Pump
  • Myers HJ100S Shallow Well Jet Pump 1 HP
  • Simer 4810S 1 HP Shallow Well Jet Pump
  • Simer 2210C 1 HP Shallow Well Jet Pump (assume that this is the cast iron version of the above model)
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The Myers only has a 67 PSI max pressure, which isn't good with a 40/60 switch. The Simmers have 70 and 80 PSI max pressure, which either would be good with the 40/60 switch.

All you need is the CSV1A. But if you need a tank, pressure gauge, pressure relief, and all the fittings, a Pside-Kick kit comes with all that and a CSV1A.

Reach4

Reaction score
Randell is starting with about a 15 PSI head, so the pump would only have to add about 35 PSI, plus any drops, to hit 60 PSI.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks