Pump runs continuously while water is on.

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by Stevie T, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Stevie T

Stevie T New Member

I installed a new pressure switch on a jet pump. It cuts on at 30 psi, but runs continuously as long as the water runs in the house, staying at around 42 psi. Once I turn off the tap the pressure builds up to 48 psi, and shuts off. I have 30 psi in the pressure tank. It shouldn't run continuously like that should it? How do I solve this issue? Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

With a jet pump with a 30 PSI cut-on, you would usually want the air precharge set to 27 or 26 PSI (set with water pressure=0. Does reducing that air pressure cure your symptom?

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. JRC3

JRC3 Member

How many gallons gallons per minute (gpm) does the pump produce? How many gpm is the tap delivering? Could it be the tap is drawing as much as the pump can deliver? My submersible will sit around 40psi when it is producing it's max gpm from "the tap".

5. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Test, Don't Guess!
    It is better for it to run constantly when there is water flowing rather than to have it cycling on and off.