Pump Repair - Submersible vs Jet Replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

PumpNewb1

Reaction score
Hello,

Currently (see picture) I am running a very old double-pipe jet pump system. It runs on 120v with a 3/4 hp pump which makes me guess my well is not that deep. The house was built in 1964 so the well is probably that age. I have only been in the house 2 years so I don't know any other details. The bearings are starting to go on my jet pump and for the service fee I called a well company out to get their opinion on the situation. They strongly advised that I convert my pump to a submersible for many benefits. They told me that since I had galvanized steel running to my well as seen in the photo next to my pump that it is only a matter of time before it rusts and starts to leak. Currently the pump has no problem holding pressure with 0 leaks. They also said my foot valve will most likely go making even a brand new jet pump not work. To fix this issue they will run electrical thru the 1" inch line to the well and put 1" plastic line for water through the 1-1/4 pipe to the well so I don't have to worry about leaks. This all sounds good but what worries me is that they don't know where my well is in the front yard and I think they are expecting to just dig a find a well with a plastic cover they could just open. My neighbor said are wells are surrounded by brick and concrete top which I can just see the cost going up with. Now I can install the Jet Pump and Tank myself which would save me alot of money with the help of best friend who is a plumber for free but he wants nothing to know about the conversion since he doesn't work on wells. So the questions is:

1. Do I order a jet pump? Which model is your favorite for my application? What do you really think the chances of the pipes leaking or the foot valve breaking in the next 5-10 years are? I figure even if it does break all I lost is the price of the pump since the pressure tank will be reused and I will just have to go the submersible route at that point. I figure this route will cost me under 800 with labor free. Also, Electricity is not a issue to me since I work for the provider and get very cheap rates.

2. Do I pay the company to do the conversion? I know it will be better for the long run but the quote is for 2900k (install, new submersible pump and tank) and I got a feeling its going to get more once the get in there. They also want extra to put a attachment to bring the well head above ground for easy service.

Would I be making a huge mistake if I just put a new jet pump on?

If you made it this far thanks for reading

Lou
CT

Attachments

• 20160306_112001.jpg
    20160306_112001.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 419
  • 20160306_112011.jpg
    20160306_112011.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 447

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Where in CT are you located?

Judging by the compression coupling there was probably a leak already.

Anytime you work on a jet pump there is always the probability that some type of trash will end up in the jet and you'll be finding the well and pulling the lines.

Since you have steel lines, finding the well should be fairly easy with the right equipment. We could probably find it in no more than 30 minutes plus digging it up.

Getting the wire through shouldn't be a problem, however galvanized pipe corrodes from the inside out so you may have to go down to 3/4 for the water. Not an issue for most domestic situations.

I would never recommend a new jet pump. Submersibles are quieter, more efficient, make better pressure and volume... We've done 100's of jet to sub conversions and have yet to have anyone call asking for the jet pump back!

I would strongly suggest extending the casing above grade. We see lots of bacteria issues with buried wells such as yours. Extending it now, while the well is apart will save you money in the long run, make the pump easier to service in the future and make for a more sanitary installation. Also, if you plan on selling your home, a potential buyer will probably request that the work be done.

PumpNewb1

Reaction score
North Branford CT

Interested in doing a conversion haha?

I am defiantly think I am going to go that route. Should I be worried about running my well dry?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd like to say yes, but we rarely if ever get east of RT91

There's always that possibility, but if you're not running the well dry with the jet pump you should be ok.

PumpNewb1

Reaction score
Last Question!

I am going to use Water Doctor as they gave me the original quote and they seem to have alot of positive reviews on google. Any input?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks