Pump Pulsates trips breaker

Users who are viewing this thread

Mispeld

Reaction score
I have a 230' well on my property and about two weeks ago I hooked it up to our camper.

I know this isn't typical but it is what it is... Vertical Goulds 1HP jet pump with a pressure control valve on the side. I have a 30' 5/8 black PVC irrigation style hose going to a 19 gallon pressure tank. Then about 30' of the same 5/8 hose to a small sediment filter and 3 stage filter system (3/4" in/out, 2.5"x10" filters). Then I have about 75' same 5/8 black pvc to the camper with an RV style external regulator/filter.

About two weeks ago I set the pressure switch the best I could 40/60psi and set the empty tank to 37psi. I set pressure control valve on the side of the pump to where I got the best flow (with a meter) at about 1.8 GPM.

It worked but I did notice it would sometimes "click" 2 or 3 times turning on or off. Then we noticed when it turned on the black PVC would move and pulsate and you can hear the pump pulsating while pumping the water. Looking at the pressure gauge on the pump pressure control valve, it was bouncing around at about 55 or 60psi. When I turn it up to about 70psi, the pump seemed to flow much better by the sound and the pulsing seemed to stop and the needle on the gauge stopped bouncing around.

Yesterday while washing the camper, water stopped flowing and I can hear the pump cycling then it tripped the breaker. I turned the breaker on and it cycled until I turned the valve off right at the pump. It instantly turned off since it built pressure in the pump. I slowly opened the valve and everything worked again. I noticed the pressure gauge at the pressure control valve was reading 70psi so I figured maybe that was too much so I lowered it back down to about 60psi. The needle bounces around a little at 60psi.

This morning we had no water in the camper. Went out and the breaker was tripped. So that tells me when it turned on the pump short cycled again. When it cycles I can literally see the contacts/diaphragm opening and closing from uneven pressure.

I was thinking:
Pressure tank is too far away at 30" with the black 5/8 pvc hose?
Maybe install a check valve somewhere?
Drain and check the PSI on the tank?
Recheck and adjust the pressure switch?
Something with the pressure control valve on the side of the pump? Maybe gauge isn't accurate?

What pressure should the pressure control valve be on the side of the pump?

Any advice? Thanks.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Adjusting the back pressure valve to get the most flow is correct. But 1.8 GPM sounds really low. The bouncing on and off quickly is because the pressure switch is too far from the tank. That tank holds 5 gallons of water and the pump should not come on until you use 5 gallons and should not go off until it puts 5 gallons back in the tank. Move the sensing line to the pressure switch from the back pressure valve over to a tee by the pressure tank. There is a foot valve below the ejector in the well, which is the only check valve needed. If the check valve is not working the pump will come back on when no one is using water. If you are adjusting the back pressure valve to get it up to 70, leave it that way or tighten a little more to get maybe 80 at the back pressure valve. The system pressure should not go above 60 unless you adjusted the pressure switch.

Mispeld

Reaction score
Thank you. It makes sense... to get an accurate pressure reading to control the pump - sensing line should be next to the tank not 30' away on the pump!

I don't know why I only get 1.8 GPM. I thought there was something wrong so last year I removed all 230' of the PVC piping and the foot valve and ejector looked fine to my unexperienced eyes. I just figured it was too deep for that style pump or something... or maybe it was normal. I posted on here last year asking about that. I even edited the question a few times and removed pictures to simplify my question since I had no responses! So about 2 weeks ago I said screw it... I will use the well for the camper since it doesn't get used. 1.8GPM is much better than hauling water in a barrel every weekend to the camper.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Well from 230' that 1.8 GPM is probably about right. That is probably just too deep, even for a deep well jet as about 170' is as deep as I have seen them go. Move the sense line for the pressure switch or put a new pressure switch close to the tank and the bouncing will stop. But you really need a submersible from that depth.

Mispeld

Reaction score
I sincerely thank you for your input. The casing is too small for a submersible pump. I assume this was installed to ensure the ten or so heads of cattle had water when the small farm was active and met the needs for it's purpose. The two old 20' shallow wells go dry at times.

Again, Thanks!

Mispeld

Reaction score
It appears to be a 1HP Berkely 10MS. Sorry, thought it was Goulds.

IMG_20220611_153023307.jpg
IMG_20220501_084520285.jpg
IMG_20220501_084538792.jpg
IMG_20210410_130906_4.jpg

Last edited:

Mispeld

Reaction score
I just wanted to follow up and thank everyone for their expertise and input.

I purchased a new 33 gal pressure tank to place next to the well pump instead of relocating the smaller 19 gal that was 30' away and just keep it with the other shallow well. I also took the advice and ran the line from the T at the tank to the pressure switch. I figured bigger is better with the low GPM and we have not ran out of pressure with this tank.

After a slight hiccup with a filter restricting pressure, this has been working flawlessly! We built a shelter for it and added doors after this picture was taken. Mama bear is happy as am I because we no longer need to transport 30-gallon barrels of water to our camper!

Thank you all for your help and Fitter for taking time to post the PDF.

IMG_20230416_164022504.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks