pump/pressure switch

Users who are viewing this thread

ScorpioCowgirl

Reaction score
I'm having problems with my pump/pressure switch, can't afford the outrageous service fee, so thought id try here.
In my main breaker box, there are three wires connected to a double breaker labeled 50. Yellow connected to main ground, red and black connected to breaker. This wire runs to my well house, and connected to a junction box, well wrked fine.
Water line cracked so I flipped breaker, repaired line. As my assistant turned on power, there was a spark from under the pressure switch cover, we powered off immediately. Have tried to reengage system with no result. My uncle removed the junction box, wired pressure switch direct to main breaker. Tried well direct to main breaker. Not sure wires are correct. Yellow is ground, the original yellow( from breaker) was never hooked to pressure switch. Yellow from well hooked to switch. When powers on. If yellow( main) touches pressure switch it sparks. Help please.

Reach4

Reaction score
In my main breaker box, there are three wires connected to a double breaker labeled 50. Yellow connected to main ground, red and black connected to breaker. This wire runs to my well house, and connected to a junction box, well wrked fine..

Let's have a photo of that "junction box, preferably with the cover off. It is probably a well control box. The yellow wire to the well would not normally go to ground. A newer "3 wire" pump has 4 wires including the green ground wire. Older pumps did not have the green.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
It sounds as though someone used what ever wire was laying around so it's very posdible the yellow is used as ground. I see that all the time.

There will always be a slight spark at the pressure switch when the contacts open and close, but what you describe leads me to think the contact plate may have broken or melted. If that's the case, it's a fairly inexpensive repair.

Post a close up of the pressure switch.

Outrageous service fees?

ScorpioCowgirl

Reaction score
It sounds as though someone used what ever wire was laying around so it's very posdible the yellow is used as ground. I see that all the time.

There will always be a slight spark at the pressure switch when the contacts open and close, but what you describe leads me to think the contact plate may have broken or melted. If that's the case, it's a fairly inexpensive repair.

Outrageous service fees?
My neighbor wanted to charge $200 service fee.

Attachments

• WP_20150207_001.jpg
    WP_20150207_001.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 372

ScorpioCowgirl

Reaction score

Outrageous service fees?
Pressure switch... Contact plate? On the switch itself?

Attachments

• WP_20150207_002.jpg
    WP_20150207_002.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 384

Reach4

Reaction score

ScorpioCowgirl

Reaction score
In http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/ot-wiring-well-pump-control-box-help-244184/ I found pictures that look similar to your box. Your pump control box may have failed, but you can't just wire a 3-wire pump to the breaker panel.

That $200 is looking like it might have been money well spent.

There are tests that can be performed with an ohmmeter to get a better idea about what is going on.

49502d1333040280-ot-wiring-well-pump-control-box-help-img_2028.jpg
Thanks for all the advice, I tested with my ohm meter and did my wiring back to what I had originally, I put the relay swith back in. Rehooked all wires, reinstalled my main breaker (I always pull it, for safety when dealing with water) the well, pump is working beautifully. No issues, not sure why my uncle removed that relay. But once again, thanks yall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks