Pump not working

Users who are viewing this thread

richv97

Reaction score
Hi everybody. I'm new here and have a problem I hope someone can help with. I pulled my old well pump after it went bad and installed a new one yesterday. After finishing with everything I turned the new pump on and let the water run to cycle the pump a few times. When I got up this morning I had no water and the pressure gauge read 0. I have 220 to the switch and wires to the pump and checked the continuity to the pump and its good. When I had someone turn the switch on while I was looking down the well I saw some bubbles come up. Would a leak stop water from making it up to my pressure tank and switch? Thanks Rich

Reach4

Reaction score
Would a leak stop water from making it up to my pressure tank and switch?
It would have to be a really big leak.

Do you have a lever on your pressure switch?

Do those bubbles stop when the power to the pump is turned off?

You used 1 inch poly pipe with two worm gear clamps to hold the barb at the pump to the pipe?

richv97

Reaction score
It would have to be a really big leak.

Do you have a lever on your pressure switch?

Do those bubbles stop when the power to the pump is turned off?

You used 1 inch poly pipe with two worm gear clamps to hold the barb at the pump to the pipe?
Yes I have the lever on the pressure switch. When I have someone turn the lever on the switch I can see what looks like a bubble come up in the well casing and the water kinda moving and when it is turned off it stops. I used the same pipe that was on the old pump. It is sections of schedule 40 with plastic couplings. All this happened overnight with no water being used

richv97

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that.
See https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/help-pump-and-pipe-fell-in-well.65959/
:(

I hope you can pull the pump up by the wires after lifting as much pipe out as comes.
The pump didn't fall in the well and I did install a safety rope when I put the new pump in. The pump worked after I installed it yesterday and I ran water to let the pump kick on and off a few times. When I got up this morning the pressure gauge was at zero and when I turn the switch on to restart the pump I still get no water

richv97

Reaction score
The pump may not have fallen because it is being held by the wire and/or the rope. But I bet one of those glue couplings came loose.
Would that be the cause of me getting no water to the pressure switch or pressure tank?

richv97

Reaction score
I started pulling my pump and I don't think there is a leak in the pipe. The water was up to the pitless adapter and was running out as the pipe bowed. I tried the pump again and can hear a hum and feel vibrations in the pipe when it is turned on but no water comes out of the pitless adapter. I am really stumped now. Any ideas on what could be the problem? The pump is brand new. Just got it yesterday

Reach4

Reaction score
I started pulling my pump and I don't think there is a leak in the pipe. The water was up to the pitless adapter and was running out as the pipe bowed. I tried the pump again and can hear a hum and feel vibrations in the pipe when it is turned on but no water comes out of the pitless adapter.
Trying to understand the picture you are painting. The pipe bowed because its top was 20 ft above the well casing with the pitless piece up in the air? Some water spilled out. Then you turned on the power to the pump, but no water spewed out?

richv97

Reaction score
Yes as I was pulling it out I felt water hitting me. So lowered the pump back down to where I could see and water was up to the pitless adapter on the drop pipe. I tried the pump again and could hear like a hum and felt vibrations in the drop pipe but no water came out

Reach4

Reaction score
That seems to say that the pipe is intact. Do you have a separate check valve above the motor? If so, how far above the motor?

Is this a 2-wire (no control box) or 3-wire pump? If 3 wire, perhaps there is a problem with the control box or the start capacitor in the box.

I think you might be able to feel vibrations via the wire or the safety rope, but having the standing water would imply that either there was not a separation, or that the separation was below a seperate check valve.

richv97

Reaction score
First of all I want to thank everybody for your help. You are a great bunch of people here. I pulled my pump back out and found the problem. When I bought the pump yesterday and took it out of the box, I noticed the motor seemed loose from the pump and would wobble some when I picked it up. Not knowing anything about pumps I assumed this was normal. Well I was wrong. The only thing holding the motor to the pump was the wires. It had came completely apart. So the motor would run but the gear wasn't touching anything and couldn't pump anything. So tomorrow I will take it back and get another on. Once again thanks for all your help. Rich

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Did something on the pump break or did the nuts holding the motor and pump together come off? I always re-torque the nuts on the motor, I've found them loose out of the box all to often. I like pumps with basket screens for this reason, so don't have to take a screen off to get to them.

You're not the first person to be pulling your motor up by the wires and won't be the last, just be thankful it came up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks