Pump noise through the house

Users who are viewing this thread

Rman

Master mechanic
Reaction score
Hi. I have a two year old 3/4 hp 10 gpm 2 wire well pump down 50 feet in a 78 foot well that produces 20 gpm
The whole piping from the well to the utility rooms is 1 inch pex
The well pipe comes into the house at the back then travels along the ceiling joists to the front of the house where the utility room is
I have CSV valve set up with a 12 gal tank. Problem from first day is when the pump is running I hear it throughout the 1st floor
Pressure on CSV is at 55 psi shut off at 70 psi works very well
Any thoughts of why or how to quite the noise. All of the plumbing is pex. This was a new build but the well was drilled in 1986
All of the plumbing I did myself with a helper. Previous home the well pipe entered the front of the house and plumbing was all copper. All I heard was the pressure switch clicking. Thanks

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
You could try dampening the pex with rubber strapping assuming it is hung from the joists. I deliberately hung my poly pipe from the joists using metal strapping so that I can hear when the pump is running.

I had a former boss that could not tell when his pump was running and he ran up huge electrical bills for several months when his underground pipe sprung a leak. He fought with the electric utility thinking his problem was his meter. Meanwhile the leak got worse and his bills got higher until the leak got so bad the pressure started to drop. It was only then that he finally figured it out.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
There maybe something wrong with the pump, as they should be quite. Pex is flexible enough that it doesn't usually transfer vibration to the house. If it were all rigid pipe, I would try a short piece of pressure rated rubber or flexible hose, like those braided SS water heater connection tubes, installed after the CSV.

I have also seen where the 50' of pipe in the well was the perfect length to cause a resonance frequency vibration. The same way an antenna length is adjusted to the frequency of the radio waves, a water pipe can be just the right length to set up a resonance. Usually adding or removing a couple 2-3 feet of well pipe changes the length enough to get it out of resonance.

Reach4

Reaction score
I have a two year old 3/4 hp 10 gpm 2 wire well pump down 50 feet in a 78 foot well that produces 20 gpm
I don't know about addressing the noise, but if you ever replace that pump, I would go to a 1/2 HP 10 gpm pump.

Rman

Master mechanic
Reaction score
There maybe something wrong with the pump, as they should be quite. Pex is flexible enough that it doesn't usually transfer vibration to the house. If it were all rigid pipe, I would try a short piece of pressure rated rubber or flexible hose, like those braided SS water heater connection tubes, installed after the CSV.

I have also seen where the 50' of pipe in the well was the perfect length to cause a resonance frequency vibration. The same way an antenna length is adjusted to the frequency of the radio waves, a water pipe can be just the right length to set up a resonance. Usually adding or removing a couple 2-3 feet of well pipe changes the length enough to get it out of resonance.

When the pump fails I’ll shorten the pipe which is 160 psi poly about 3 feet
Have worked in many homes rarely heard a pump noise. Back then my hearing was much better
Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks