Pump motor not coming on

Users who are viewing this thread

Dorlando13

Reaction score
Hello, I have a Flotec 1.5 HP for my well. This morning I watered the front yard fine and when I went to water the back the pump would not come on. There is no humming or anything. I waited 30 minutes and same thing. I did notice a little smell near the pump but can't say for sure that something is burning. Is there anything inside the motor that I can look at or do signs point to a bad motor?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If you have been letting it cycle on and off it may need a new starting capacitor if you are lucky. If your not lucky you may already need a new pump. Check the volts and amps.

Dorlando13

Reaction score
After further review, it is humming for about 3 seconds and then the breaker trips. Could this still be the capacitor? It does get really hot after trying to start so I guess it is auto shutting down

Dorlando13

Reaction score
I need to have a friend come over and check the voltage. For my own education, the pump is 6 years old, has been working fine and worked fine on the cycle right before this happened. what could have happened all of a sudden with the voltage?

It does cycle on and off at least 3 times each time I water, which could be an average of 3 days a week. i have to cycle it manually so sometimes it can be more than 3 times because the distributor cap doesn't move to the next zone.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Most common problem is the pressure switch. No matter how many times the pump starts, with each start the points in the pressure switch closing and opening causes a spark like an arc welder. There are 2 sets of points in a pressure switch. When cycling causes enough spark to burn one side of the switch, you only get half voltage. Half voltage causes twice the amperage, and the overload trips.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks