Pump losing prime?

Users who are viewing this thread

Redfire

Reaction score
At my cottage I have an older red jacket shallow we'll pump. It is connected to a sandpoint well, 18 ft. down.
Connected to a bladder 10 gal tank.
Pressure setting 30/50

When it works it works really well, however after left unused for overnight and it goes down to 30 it fails to get above 30 and therefore doesn't shut off.
My fittings seem very dry...except for on the house side I have a drip on the connection going into the house.
If I unplug a few times I can usually get it to work again.
On one occasion I attempted to open the prime cap and as I did I heard air escaping....I closed and plugged back in..works no problem.
This is a new sandpoint, however my other sandpoint experienced similar behaviour.
Could it be that the pump is failing or does this sound more like a leak somewhere?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I assume you have a check valve at the top of the sandpoint? I think because it does this overnight, that there is a leak between the check valve and sandpoint. An air leak can be so small that water will not leak out even though air can leak in.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks