Pump loosing prime

Users who are viewing this thread

Martinmeilinger00

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have a 20ft deep with 2" casing well and inside that I have driven a 1-1/4" pipe with a 4ft sand point on the bottom that is 3 ft over the end of the 2" casing so, I have a total of 23ft pipe for the pump down the ground. On the surface I have installed a Tee socket on which vertically there's a service port cap and horizontally there's a check valve on it that connects to the pump. Unfortunately my pump just wont hold prime and I ran out of ideas what could be wrong with it. I checked all the connections on the inlet pipe as well as the outlet if its leaking but nothing appears to be, everything looks fine. Could it be that I need to change the pvc to a brass check valve? I purchased everything new a week ago so it can't be the fact that its too old. I will attach images of my setup. Let me know if you have some ideas why I'm loosing prime.
Thank You!

Attachments

• IMG_7930.jpg
    IMG_7930.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_7932.jpg
    IMG_7932.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 100

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Plastic check valves are no good. But I see several threaded joints on the suction that could have air leaks. The cap on top of the well is probably the worst. It is hard to prime a point well. The prime needs to be on the pump, not the well. If you have the smallest of leaks in the suction pipe you will never get the well to draw.

Martinmeilinger00

Reaction score
Thank You for your reply Valveman!
I went ahead and changed the plastic to brass check valve and as well as I resealed all the threads with teflon tape to make sure there are absolutely no leaks. I checked the pressure gauge when pump turned off and let it sit for a night and the pressure stayed the same (45 psi) the next morning. Then I went ahead and turned the pump on and it was working all fine, it didn't loose any prime, so the brass check valve definitely helped. Thanks for your advice!

Attachments

• IMG_8023.jpg
    IMG_8023.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 94

Ryno95

Reaction score
Thank You for your reply Valveman!
I went ahead and changed the plastic to brass check valve and as well as I resealed all the threads with teflon tape to make sure there are absolutely no leaks. I checked the pressure gauge when pump turned off and let it sit for a night and the pressure stayed the same (45 psi) the next morning. Then I went ahead and turned the pump on and it was working all fine, it didn't loose any prime, so the brass check valve definitely helped. Thanks for your advice!
I have a similar problem as you had, only I already have a brass check valve. My setup is on its third season and now my pump won't hold prime, yet the pump pressure is consistent. I assume I have a leak somewhere 'behind' the check valve. @Martinmeilinger00, you confirmed there were no leaks at any fitting. Dumb question, but with negative pressure, how do you know?

Thanks, not a challenge, I just want to fix my problem, too!

Ryan

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I have a similar problem as you had, only I already have a brass check valve. My setup is on its third season and now my pump won't hold prime, yet the pump pressure is consistent. I assume I have a leak somewhere 'behind' the check valve. @Martinmeilinger00, you confirmed there were no leaks at any fitting. Dumb question, but with negative pressure, how do you know?

Thanks, not a challenge, I just want to fix my problem, too!

Ryan
Foamy shaving cream. Sorry I missed this.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks