Pump Location @ Lake Cabin

Users who are viewing this thread

LarryLeveen

Reaction score
Our cabin, only used during summer, uses water from the lake it is on. There is an external pump house near the lake. The pump has a shortish run from the lake (6' rise) and then pushes water uphill in a longer run to the cabin (~60' rise). The pump house is failing due to a combination of reasons -- neglect, poor location (against a slipping hillside that is now making contact and pushing it), and a poor foundation (blocks on a super-rocky soil that isn't very stable). I could put a lot of time and energy into maintaining that, but I'm questioning the basic premise of pump location here.

Honestly, I do not see why the pump should be external to the cabin at all! Can the pump be in or under the cabin and sip from the lake in a long run, and then push into the cabin plumbing in a short run?

Making this change would eliminate the need for a pump house, allow for stabilizing the slope once the pump house was gone/out of the way. During this change, we could add a filtration system for drinking water.

Obviously there are tradeoffs -- the pump would be louder if it were closer. Also, it would need to be installed in a way that allowed for servicing, which might have space impacts in the cabin, or increase costs to make a human-sized service space under the cabin.

Any constructive thoughts are welcome.

LarryLeveen

Reaction score
Put a submersible in the lake.

The lake level varies a bit, so I don't know how practical this is. Also the lake freezes in winter, if that matters (for servicing it).

I see how a submersible pump gets around needing a pump house, but is it more practical than having the pump at/in the cabin? Why?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
A submersible is not placed near the surface so varying levels matter not. Unless it is a real shallow lake, it would not freeze to the bottom. There would be no need to service it in Winter since you say you only use the cabin in Summer.

Submersibles are superior pumps and more than twice as efficient. On a 66 foot rise, nothing else comes close.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
As LLigetfa says if the lake is deep enough I'd install a submersible pump in the lake near the bottom so it won't freeze. It needs to be elevated off the bottom like laying on an old tire and it can be layed in a horizontal position. The water line will have to be protected from freezing. Pressure won't be a problem. I'd consider installing a "Pside-Kick" http://www.cyclestopvalves.com/products.html. It's a complete kit including a small tank (all that's required) for the pump that can be installed in a closet or under a cabinet. It's almost silent in that you probably won't hear anything but the contact points in the pressure switch clicking. The Pside-Kick will prevent your pump from cycling and give you constant pressure (like city water pressure) and you won't need a well house.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks