pump kicks on dont kick off

Users who are viewing this thread

possum

Reaction score
my pump presure switch is20-40. It kicks on at 20psi but it wont pump past 38psi so it keeps on running. does any one have any ideas. I just put a new 20-40 swicth on it I thought that was the problem but it wasnt. please help!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you turn off the pump, does the pressure drop back to zero eventually? If it does, think check valve. If it doesn't, think feed line leak. My unprofessional thoughts...

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The "feed line" is the inlet line. If it has a leak, it will admit air into the line and diminish the ability of the pump to get to pressure. That applies to a jet pump (see below).

Do you have a shallow well jet pump or a submersible pump? A submersible pump is down the well and you can't see it. There will only be a line coming into the house. If you can see the pump in your house, it is probably a jet pump. If the pump is in your house and there is only one pipe going out to the well, it is a shallow well jet pump. Can you tell us the model number and manufacturer of the pump?

If you have a submersible pump, you may have a failed pump or a break in the pipe from the pump to the tank.

The check valve is probably a brass fitting in the pipe that is slightly larger than the pipe. You don't always have one that you can see. It may be a "foot valve" at the bottom of the well if you have a shallow well jet pump. If you have a submersible pump, it is probably in the pump.

What kind of well do you have? Is it a drilled well (probably a 4" pipe in the ground) or a "dug well" (probably 2 to 3 ft diameter with a cover over it)? It is possible that you are running out of water or that it is too low to pump with a shallow well pump.

If you have a jet pump, it is possible that the internal jet can be obstructed, causing it to be inefficient.

Tell us more about what you have and we can give you some more ideas.

Mikebarone

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
your pump

Dear Possum,

As Bob NH has stated, I too had a bad foot valve. I have both, a submersibles pump that pumps into a 500 gallon storage tank, and then a jet pump that takes if from the storage tank and pushes it into the house. It may be, (if you have a jet pump) a weak impeller. It could be by-passing around he weak impeller at the 38 psi. I can’t really recall how I checked the foot valve to see if it was bad…it’s been a while ago, but I do know when I change it out with a new one it ran like a champ.

Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks