Pump has no water

Users who are viewing this thread

Mark Bramble

Reaction score
Good morning, I have a 4" 1/2 hp 115v pump, about 2 days ago it started to not work. The pressure switch appears to be working fine. There is contact and spark. I eventually changed out the control box with no change. I checked the resistance in the pump and got 2.1 ohms and 7.2 ohms which from what I have looked up is 50% above high range (?)(I'm out and about one number could be a bit different). The pump sometimes will come on however it will only build about 45-50 psi and will not achieve high pressure cut off. The pump will stop itself and normally I need to pull the control box and give it a bit before it may run again. Any suggestions or is it basically burnt out? Thanks

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Typical failure mode for a submersible pump. The pump has cycled on and off as many times as it was designed to last. The automatic overload in the motor is tripping. It doesn't matter if you take off the control box, these overloads will reset themselves in a few minutes and the pump will try again, with or without removing the control box or with or without turning power on and off. Replace the control box first. But if it still trips the overload you will need to bite the bullet and replace the pump/motor. Adding a Cycle Stop Valve will make your next pump last several times longer, as cycling on and off is what destroys pumps.

Mark Bramble

Reaction score
Typical failure mode for a submersible pump. The pump has cycled on and off as many times as it was designed to last. The automatic overload in the motor is tripping. It doesn't matter if you take off the control box, these overloads will reset themselves in a few minutes and the pump will try again, with or without removing the control box or with or without turning power on and off. Replace the control box first. But if it still trips the overload you will need to bite the bullet and replace the pump/motor. Adding a Cycle Stop Valve will make your next pump last several times longer, as cycling on and off is what destroys pumps.

Mark Bramble

Reaction score
I got the pump out, lots of rust. Turns out the pump is 1/3 hp and the control box is for 1/2 hp. Any issue with that? Should I just run a 1/2 hp pump. It was landed at 65 ft

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
They don't make 1/3HP motors anymore. They just use a 1/2HP motor and control box, even when there is a 1/3HP pump attached, which you can still get. But probably better off getting a 1/2HP pump end as well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks