Pump failing????

Users who are viewing this thread

SPS

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to well water & am now having a problem. I recently replaced my pressure switch with a same model (the old one was leaking internally for a couple years, just dripping) as I was having a problem with pump not keeping up with ext. hose usage; the pump wouldn't keep up pressure & eventually when pressure got too low, the switch would open. When I installed new pres. switch, I couldn't get pressure above 50 psi & pump would continue to run (pressure switch had been set for approx. 60 psi on high end). I decreased on & off pressures & it would work OK except that high usage (hose) would still draw down pump till switch opened. I continued to decrease on/off pressures & now pump won't get above 30 psi & runs constantly. Pump was already installed when I bought house ~ 5 years ago. Think it's a big-box brand with a Franklin motor model 2445076110 230v 3/4 hp 3450 rpm 6.8amp. Well is REPORTED to be ~120' deep & pump in area of 100' - 105' not sure of static water level. Do you think my pump is failing? Also as I've been reading here I thing I should install a pressure regulator to help prevent cycling. Have seen talk about the CSV but someone also mentioned a Watts pressure reducing valve. Any thoughts on which is better or more appropriate for my situation. I'm looking to have as much pressure / volume for house usage as I can. Thanks in advance. Scott

BAPlumber

Plumber
Reaction score
If i'm understanding the situation correctly. It sounds like the new pressure switch was operating properly with the factory setting (before adjusted). An outside faucet when wide open will lower the system pressure faster that a kitchen faucet or shower, and the pump will have to kick on more often.

SPS

Reaction score
I definetly seem to have a problem. Previously I could run the outside faucet for hours and not have it effect household water; the pressure switch was set roughly at 40/60. Now even with all faucets off, the pump with not generate more than 30 psi after extended time, it just keeps running.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks