Pump cycling when temperature warms up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tyler Kukko

Reaction score
Hi all, first time poster here and trying to get more knowledable with plumbing. Have an issue with my set up. I have a Gould’s submergable pump and a Water Worker bladder tank. I am from Upstate New York and the weather has been funky the last month or so (warm to very cold to warm to cold, etc). Every time the temperature is over freezing my pump continuously cycles. I replaced the pressure switch and that didn’t help. The pump will build pressure to 50 and cut off back down to 30psi and continuously does that with water constantly cycling. There are no leaks inside of the house, so I was wondering what else this could be? Again this only seems to happen when the temperature is above freezing

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I think the temperature may be a coincidence. The only way that could happen is if you have an outside faucet that has frozen and split. When it freezes off there is no leak. When it thaws out there is a leak and the pump cycles. BUT I don't see how it could freeze WHILE it is leaking? Moving water usually doesn't freeze?

Tyler Kukko

Reaction score
What is the time period of the cycles?

While the cycling is happening, turn off the valve between the pressure tank to the house to confirm that the cycling still happens.

It goes for about 2 minutes from 30 to 50 and then back down. The water never seems to stop circulating. Sorry for the delayed response but it was back below freezing the last few days so out of sight out of mind haha.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
It goes for about 2 minutes from 30 to 50 and then back down.
So is that 1 minute to go up and 1 minute to go back down or a different ratio? Would be good to know what the normal fill time is so we can deduce whether the fill time is now longer and how fast the drain time is.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks