Pump cycles once on a low pressure start

Users who are viewing this thread

warpspeed

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a Gould J7S shallow well jet pump. When the pressure drops to the low set point to start. The pump cycles on for a split second, then off, then on again and stays on until the high set point is reached. The pressure switch is mounted on the pump and a tube goes from the pressure switch to the base of the pump. I flushed the tube to make sure there were no blockages and also cleaned the contacts. The condition still remains. My other though is there might be air in the pressure switch causing this to happen.

Any suggestions to remedy this issue would be appreciated.

Thank you,
David

warpspeed

Reaction score
Gary,

I did not consider the tank pressure. I will start with that and check the tank pressure, make any adjustments that are needed and post my findings. I am confident the pressure tube is clear. I did a pretty complete check of all the fittings and tube ensuring it was clear after the flush was complete. But, if the tank pressure does not fix the issue, I will check the tubing to be sure.

Thank you,
David

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
So you have checked the tube to the pressure switch and that is clear, good. Next check the tank pressure. It should be set 2 lbs less than the pump cut in pressue with the system drained. If that does not solve the problem then take the cover off the pressure switch and watch the contacts when the pump starts. If they remain closed and the motor still double starts than the starting switch in the motor itself is bad. If the contacts open and close then the pressure switch itself is bad.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks