Pump check valve or pipe leaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Topgun510

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Looks like every ten years or so I find myself on this forum asking for help. A decade ago it was the septic, drain pipe. Now we are dealing with what I suspect is a failed check valve or pipe in the well. Having the capability of hearing mouse fart has its pros and cons, I hear everything. When the well pump went off more than usual despite no water being used and the wife acknowledged the laundry was NOT running, I knew we had a problem. After a check of all the faucets and pipes revealed no leaks, I pretty much arrived at the conclusion that this in a problem on the inlet side, pump, pipe and check valve.

Looking at the documentation the previous owners left us from the well install isn't very comforting. The pump is 135' down. Looking at the cap of the well, hhmm, how the hell am I even going to be able to take this thing off? So, before I do anything I'll later regret, I figured I'd come on here and seek out some advice from you guys. Having been put in back in 1968, what is the likelihood of the pipe being galvanized vs polyethelene?? I have called a local professional and am currently awaiting a call back. Any advice you all have is welcomed. I've shut the breaker off in the meantime.

IMG-20170628-WA0003.jpg
well doc.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
When the well pump went off more than usual and the wife did not say the laundry was running, I knew we had a problem. After a check of all the faucets and pipes revealed no leaks, I pretty much arrived at the conclusion that this in a problem on the inlet side, pump, pipe and check valve.
Are you saying the pump cycles more frequently? That would typically be a failed pressure tank.

Or are you saying it cycles when no water is being used? That does sound like the check valve at the pump.

You could have schedule 80 PVC drop pipe. That might be the best if you will have the pump professionally attended to.

Topgun510

Reaction score
Are you saying the pump cycles more frequently? That would typically be a failed pressure tank.

Or are you saying it cycles when no water is being used? That does sound like the check valve at the pump.

You could have schedule 80 PVC drop pipe. That might be the best if you will have the pump professionally attended to.

The pump is cycling every 48 seconds even when no water is being used.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Being that old there is a very good possibility it is steel pipe. With those old systems there is usually an additional check valve before the pressure tank. If there is another check valve, you could replace it first and see if the problem goes away. If you add another check valve and there is a hole in the pipe, you will start getting air out the faucets.

I am guessing just the weight of the pipe and pump is holding that well seal on the casing.

Topgun510

Reaction score
Being that old there is a very good possibility it is steel pipe. With those old systems there is usually an additional check valve before the pressure tank. If there is another check valve, you could replace it first and see if the problem goes away. If you add another check valve and there is a hole in the pipe, you will start getting air out the faucets.

I am guessing just the weight of the pipe and pump is holding that well seal on the casing.

I've been reading many of your replies in other threads. There is no check valve before the pressure tank. Smart state eh? For a second there I wish there was, then I got to reading your post about the things sounding better on paper than in the real world.

Any advice on removing that cap? I removed the small nut, and peeked inside. Looks like a pipe runs down the center of that cap to what appears to be another cap almost?? Pretty safe for me to remove that big pipe plug in the center??

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I am old, but I don't remember ever seeing a well seal like that one. Not sure how to help you. Google the name of the well seal and see what comes up. I can't read it from the picture.

Topgun510

Reaction score
US3065792-0.jpg

Found this a moment ago after I Google the patent #. Any words of advice on how to proceed?

I'm thinking I need to remove #19 pipe plug and then tap C cover off?? Looks like #40 is the pitlese adapter that keeps the pump and down pipe located? Thanks for all your help guys.

Last edited:

Topgun510

Reaction score
Alright, I think I'll just wait on these well driller/ installers to call back for now. I can't say I'm not half tempted to take a tow truck home and extend the boom and fab up something and see what the winches will do, but I don't like working on vehicles where others have molested so I need to keep my greasy hands off and see what the pros have to say. If I knew with a fair amount of certainty it wasn't steel piping I'd consider it. 135' has got to weigh a fair amount.

Topgun510

Reaction score
Also, well guy called back and was confident that it was just really water logged. I didn't think so, I had just drained the tank a week ago to no avail. At any rate, he wanted me to drain the tank, blow it out and refill it. I did notice I could not get the system to hold any pressure. I have a good sized compressor and held the air nozzle at 80 psi for ten plus minutes and no change. Not sure if that is an indication of anything?? The tank in question is a galvanized tank, the size is comparable to a 40 gallon water heater if we are comparing external dimensions wise.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Steel pipe is heavy, but the length is the problem. 21' joints need 23'-25' lift to clear one stick. I have some dogs that will grip the sides of steel pipe so you can pull a few feet at a time. But I only feel safe holding steel pipe by the couplings, which means 21' at a time.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Also, well guy called back and was confident that it was just really water logged. I didn't think so, I had just drained the tank a week ago to no avail. At any rate, he wanted me to drain the tank, blow it out and refill it. I did notice I could not get the system to hold any pressure. I have a good sized compressor and held the air nozzle at 80 psi for ten plus minutes and no change. Not sure if that is an indication of anything?? The tank in question is a galvanized tank, the size is comparable to a 40 gallon water heater if we are comparing external dimensions wise.

Air will blow out the same leak in the pipe as water.

Topgun510

Reaction score
Air will blow out the same leak in the pipe as water.

Thats what I figured. It was well after 6:30 when the guy called back, so I'm sure it was already a long enough day for him. He mentioned something about two bleed valves in the pipe that are designed to add air into the tank each time the pump comes on that are likely plugged now and thought the tank was water logged because of it??

In the past, when the power went out, the system still held enough residual pressure that we would still have enough water pressure the next morning to wash up. Now, the moment the well pump goes off, the pressure is heads down to 0 psi very quickly. I just switched the breaker off and in 15 minutes we are down to 8 psi . I gather this is abnormal, correct? Is the well pump/check valve supposed to stay pressurized or should the tank itself stay pressurized?

Topgun510

Reaction score
Yes it should stay pressurize and not drop off. You have a leak somewhere.

I've been doing tons of reading online, getting schooled on the subject. Is there something called a Drain Back Tee/ Bleed back valve that could possibly be my issue?

I turned the well pump on this morning. After the initial fill up of my tank, the on time was right around 45 seconds and then comes back on after 1:25 due to the pressure loss. For now I've just switched off the circuit breaker

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Since you say you have a galvanized tank, then you have to have some sort of air maker for it. The most common is a topside checkvalve with an air snifter on it and a bleeder valve down the hole. Some folks will use two bleeders, one lower than the other and put the checkvalve in the well.

That said, either your checkvalve has failed or you have a leak between the valve and the tank.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
He mentioned something about two bleed valves in the pipe that are designed to add air into the tank each time the pump comes on that are likely plugged now and thought the tank was water logged because of it?

Sounds like you have the double bleeder system down the well. But these bleeders should not drain the water from the tank if the above ground check valve is working. And if you don't have an above ground check valve, add one now because the one on top of the two bleeders apparently isn't working.

Topgun510

Reaction score
Sounds like you have the double bleeder system down the well. But these bleeders should not drain the water from the tank if the above ground check valve is working. And if you don't have an above ground check valve, add one now because the one on top of the two bleeders apparently isn't working.

Were the two bleed valves designed to prevent this drain back?

As far as adding a check valve now, can I just add one before the pressure tank?? I thought I read in a different post somewhere where an above ground check valve was illegal in Michigan.

Can I add the check valve along this run perhaps? Thanks for your time

20170629_090938.jpg
20170629_092027.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks